PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problems in Post installation steps

Rakesh055
February 23rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Please can any one help me in the following steps.

uecadmin@server1:~$sudo /etc/init.d/networking restartat this step i cannot connect to the system.

whether should i connect to internet here. please help how can i connect to internet.

Bucky Ball
February 23rd, 2011, 01:28 PM
Welcome.

Firstly, plug in an ethernet cable and get online that way. You will be offered updates. Accept them. Then look in:

System>Administration>Additional Drivers

Is there a wireless driver there? You need to get your wireless card happening before you can get online wirelessly and to do that you need to get online with a cable generally.

Seeing as you are in a terminal, type or paste in:

sudo lshw -C network

You should be able to identify your wireless card there if the correct firmware is loaded. ;)

Rakesh055
February 25th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the reply,

I will try out with the mentioned steps.

can i know how to get GUI version for the server edition

Bucky Ball
February 26th, 2011, 10:15 AM
You load the server edition and then install a DE (desktop environment) if you want one; Gnome, Xfce would be quicker. The less apps you need to run your server the better for speed. ;)

Rakesh055
February 28th, 2011, 07:32 AM
In the first reply which you gave i found my wireless device but it is disabled. how to enable that one.

Bucky Ball
February 28th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Plug in an ethernet cable, get updates, then System>Administration>Additional Drivers and enable the card. ;)

Hope that works.

Rakesh055
February 28th, 2011, 03:50 PM
thank you for the reply,

but my problem is i have to connect to the internet to get update. but the ethernet and wifi drivers are disabled. i could not connect to internet.

can you help me how to update other than from internet. i tried with intenet through LAN but it was saying O%downloading due to some problems. i dont know why.