PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Adding a keyboard shortcut to Gnome's File Chooser

ankle
February 23rd, 2011, 11:12 AM
I'd like to add a keyboard shortcut to the Gnome File Chooser: "Ctrl-D" to switch to the Desktop folder (as "Apple-D" does in OS X). I haven't found a way to do this, yet.

Will it require changes to the source code, or is there possibly another way to add this in Gnome?

Copper Bezel
February 23rd, 2011, 06:27 PM
Switch to the desktop folder? Do you mean to minimize all windows to show the desktop, or to load a file manager to the desktop folder?

Either way, you'll be setting this in Compiz Config Settings Manager, most likely, unless you're running without desktop effects, in which case you would use Keyboard Shortcuts from the Preferences menu. You don't want to use Ctrl+D for this, because it's used for many applications. I suggest Super+D.

If you want to create a show desktop shortcut through Compiz, you can find it in CCSM under "General Options" in the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab. If you're not using desktop effects, navigate to Preferences - > Keyboard Shortcuts. Either way, the action is called "Show Desktop." You can just select it and press the key binding you want.

If you want to load the desktop folder in Nautilus, you'll have to create a custom action:

nautilus /home/yourusername/Desktop

and assign it to a key binding, again either in CCSM through the "Commands" plugin or, if you're not using Compiz desktop effects, in Preferences - > Keyboard Shortcuts in the Main Menu.

kidwm
March 19th, 2011, 04:49 PM
But I tried Alt + D, this shortcut is working!

ankle
April 27th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Alt+D works!