PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best nVidia AGP 4X Card?

cdawe
February 23rd, 2011, 03:05 AM
Hi all,

I'm trying to breathe new life into an old Dell GX150, and I'm trying to find an nVidia AGP Videocard that will dual display, an s-video port on the card is required :) , and install well and work well on Ubuntu 10.10. I'd like to have at least 128 MB RAM on the card (256 would be awesome).

Please chime in with some suggestions.

I'm an Ubuntu noob, for sure, but I've had a lot of experience with Windows in all it's colors. I have found that the journey into Ubuntu seems to be ATI-unfriendly, and I am led to believe (at least to a point) that nVidia plays nicer with Linux/Ubuntu in particular.

Help appreciated.

Curt

cascade9
February 23rd, 2011, 08:02 AM
Probably the 'best' AGP nvidia card was the 7800GS. Its AGP x8, but it should work in a x4 slot. Pretty hard to find one of those, 6600GTs are more common (and also x8).

The last AGP x4 card was the Ti4600.

BTW, some of the GX150s are small form factor, which will really limit the amount card you can install as they must be 'half height' (and I've never seen a half height 7800GS 6600GT).

Since you say you want s-video I'd assume that you want to hook the card up to a TV, probably for video viewing. None of the AGP nvidia cards support VDPAU, which means that even 720p will probably be unwatchable with the GX150.

mastablasta
February 23rd, 2011, 11:06 AM
an s-video port on the card is required

then again there are always adaptors... some are quite cheap.