PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fancy a laugh at Microsoft's Expense

dalekirkwood
February 23rd, 2011, 12:10 AM
I was just browsing the net and typed into google 'Linux Market Share' Look what I found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Windows_and_Linux#Market_share

Very Interesting about the Supercomputers and Webserver's. Makes me think it is worth struggling through the hiccups of Linux.

Old *ix Geek
February 23rd, 2011, 12:28 AM
I love it! :D

With 300,000 new Android devices being activated DAILY, the Linux percentage is going to go up by leaps and bounds.

I don't know if my web sites simply attract more intelligent people or what, but my sites have a 40% *nix visitor base. (I'm including Mac OSX in that--pure Linux accounts for about 25%, other *nix variants make up about 2%, and OSX about 13%.)

As for ALL of the top supercomputers using Linux, what can I say? No one in their right mind would expect ******* to compare. :lolflag:

dalekirkwood
February 23rd, 2011, 12:49 AM
That's a scary figure of Android devices. Linux has come a long way. I tried Ubuntu 7/8 years ago and gave up within minutes tbh, mainly due to the lack of drivers. So glad I came back to it.

TriBlox6432
February 23rd, 2011, 12:52 AM
Linux HAS come a long way even from Intrepid (which I first used).

I remember I first installed on my laptop (wiping Vista) and got all pissed because wifi didn't work. xDD

Now, a new laptop and nearly everything works. Just not touchpad scroll (I really wish this would be fixed) and webcam (I don't really care, I never use it anyway)

Khakilang
February 23rd, 2011, 10:38 AM
I should have gone to Linux years ago and save me hours of scanning for virus, reformat my hard disk, re install my apps and lots more. Great articles.

Giant Speck
February 23rd, 2011, 10:50 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon13.gif Anyone fancy a laugh at Microsoft's Expense

This is a Linux forum. You should know that this kind of drivel is not only the norm but is welcomed with open arms.

Also, Linux's dominance in the supercomputer "market" isn't exactly new knowledge...

Cracklepop
February 24th, 2011, 03:33 PM
This is a Linux forum. You should know that this kind of drivel is not only the norm but is welcomed with open arms.

Also, Linux's dominance in the supercomputer "market" isn't exactly new knowledge...
This is a Linsux member. You should know that that this kind of drivel is not only the norm from them, but is a constant source of amusement for Linux users.

Tristam Green
February 24th, 2011, 04:07 PM
This is a Linsux member. You should know that that this kind of drivel is not only the norm from them, but is a constant source of amusement for Linux users.

This is jibba-jabba. You should know that Mr. T referenced this phenomenon much throughout the 1980s, and the term stuck in the English lexicon to explain such commentary.

fuduntu
February 24th, 2011, 04:14 PM

FYI, members of the site formerly known as Linsux don't hate Linux or Linux users.

Just sayin.

Exodist
February 24th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I was just browsing the net and typed into google 'Linux Market Share' Look what I found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Windows_and_Linux#Market_share

Very Interesting about the Supercomputers and Webserver's. Makes me think it is worth struggling through the hiccups of Linux.

Good link..

Couldnt help but take the time to email that link also to one of my College Professers I been trying to get to learn more about *nix stuff.

kevin11951
February 24th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Good link..

Couldnt help but take the time to email that link also to one of my College Professers I been trying to get to learn more about *nix stuff.

And when he replies that, that is "Wikipedia" and "not a real source"?

Lucradia
February 24th, 2011, 11:15 PM
fyi, members of the site formerly known as linsux don't hate linux or linux users.

Just sayin.

ping!

(The new zing! :P)

Giant Speck
February 25th, 2011, 09:58 AM
It's like you think you know me or something. Pfffttt... move along.

ki4jgt
February 25th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Life in the fast lane. . . You have to love an OS which dominates the market in a matter of years, rather than decades. I have to say, I love Ubuntu. Hate the new Unity interface, but love Ubuntu. It's just so. . .:P Before I got it, I was having to clean my hard drive every month b/c each month, I would get well over 500 infected files on my computer. I remember the last month, I had around 1000 and decided to just throw Windows away. So, I voided my warrenty, but not before requesting a backup windows CD from my distributor, (In case I had any Windows withdraws - I had a couple) But other than that, Ubuntu has saved me countless hours or headache. But now, my dad wants windows back. I'm crying already. I can't get the hardware to work with Windows, I install the drivers and then plug the device in and then I hear this:

(BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-)

Along with that, what else do I see? Why it's the blue screen of death! :-( Telling me my driver is causing problems. When I try to remove it, it tells me, it's required at startup and can't be removed. Where as, Ubuntu simply works. If it doesn't work, it assumes you already know there is a problem b/c the device isn't working, so it doesn't say, OK, now that you know there is a problem, I'm going to lock you out of your computer so you can't fix it! Nah, ubuntu says, I'll operate like normal and let you fix it on your own!

Zlatan
February 25th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Good link..

I'd suggest you to save your time as from my experience Professors do notlearn, they only tend to teach:) Hope I'm wrong about your case, good luck if you try;)

themarker0
February 25th, 2011, 08:04 PM
From 7.10 when i started, its been so far. Sad thing is, if find Linux no longer the nerd alternitive, i find Linux to be an actual alternitive. Time for me to hop to the BSD train :p

linuxrollup
February 25th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I've used BSD in the past and while it's a nice alternative to Windows I don't find it a viable alternative to Linux as BSD doesn't have the same amount of drivers that Linux does and it doesn't even have Flash! (I blame Adobe for that.)

I've used PC-BSD 8.2 recently and I think it's a nice OS but I think Linux is best for me because of the amount of software available for it.