PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Build a webserver from scratch

muncken
February 22nd, 2011, 08:30 PM
Hi all

I am about to build a web server from scratch. I have decided to use Ubuntu Server, but my problem is what hardware I should use for the server. I am a sucker for Apple products, but due to several reviews I have read, the mac mini server is not what I am looking for when I want to host websites.
I have also been looking at the Asus eeeBox and I have found a couple of guys who have had succes installing ubuntu server on that device.

I have only 2 requirements for the server: 1) As small as possible and 2) As less noisy as possible.

My question remains: What should I buy?

atti84it
February 23rd, 2011, 12:24 AM
I think it depends on the question: what do you want to do with it?

if it is for local development, just install a LAMP on your pc.
if it is for small office application you could consider installing apache on a computer that you normally use for normal use. or maybe just buy a power computer from a mall with 8 gigs of RAM and use it as a server.
if you need it as a dedicated server for a big company then you should look for something different..

muncken
February 23rd, 2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks forr the reply. I Will use it to host my own sites. These sites doesnt have Many visitors. Furthermore i intend to use it as a private file server.