PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Weird noises at start up.

nxpx
February 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Hello everyone!

I have a weird issue I hope you can help me with.

When I start up my computer and it gets to the login screen I hear these 2 weird noises from my speakers and I do not know where they come from since I disabled the start up sound.

Anybody know what this can be?

I disabled the start up sound because it did not sound right, it was stuttering.

All music listening and playing games (Heroes of Newerth) works like a charm. Only application where I can get the same stuttering effect is when I start Ventrilo with wine (world of warcraft works without any issues)

Please let me know if you need any information about my system and I will supply it, I run 10.10 Maverick 64 bit.

Thanks!

tgm4883
February 22nd, 2011, 05:38 PM
Does it sound like 3 short drum hits? Did you also disable the login sound (not the same as the startup music)

System > Administration > Login Screen

nxpx
February 22nd, 2011, 05:42 PM
Hello

Thanks for the quick answer.

The sound in login screen is disbled, yes.

It does not sound like any "normal" start up sound at all, more like some weird initialization of the sound card driver or something if that makes sense.

Thanks

Starfleet
February 23rd, 2011, 12:38 AM
NXPX...yes I think I know the noise you mean. I had this noise both in 10.04 and 10.10 on my old computer. Whatever I did I could not cure it. The noise as you say sounds like some sort of driver initialisation sound and in my case was a click followed by a clickerty...clickerty...click during boot up to the login screen. My sound in Rythmbox didn't intialise properly either and would stutter and just cut out.

Then I built a new computer and loaded 10.04LTS and the problem has gone away. However...I dual booted it with 10.10 and the noise is still present in 10.10. What gives? I cant find the problem but hey...10.04 is perfect and I use that all the time, and 10.10 is used for my experimental projects. Sorry I can't shed more light on it but I have spent weeks trying to fix it, compiling new kernels and editing files in the sound system but to no avail. I guess I thought you should know you are not alone on this one. Good luck!