PDA

View Full Version : Poll: default zoom

Engnome
May 2nd, 2006, 04:30 PM
One of the things I disliked most about gnome when I started with it was the really large icons on the desktop, they just annoyed me, alot. It took 6 months til I stumbled on the answer and now my desktop looks much better.:D Maybe hard to see on the screenshots though.

BoyOfDestiny
May 2nd, 2006, 04:35 PM
One of the things I disliked most about gnome when I started with it was the really large icons on the desktop, they just annoyed me, alot. It took 6 months til I stumbled on the answer and now my desktop looks much better.:D Maybe hard to see on the screenshots though.

I like the icons a little bigger myself, (running on 1600 x 1200). Actually I'm fine with it my laptop (1280 x 800)... I do keep my desktop very clean though...

How hard was this to customize for you? You said it "took 6 months" to find, what is the solution exactly?

Engnome
May 2nd, 2006, 04:53 PM
I wasnt looking until some friends started complaining "Linux looks ugly" after a few seconds I realised they were partly right. Then I searched these forums for 3 mins and whoila :D

Open a nautilus window, Edit --> Preferences --> Default zoom level.

One of those aha there it is solutions.

Turgon
May 2nd, 2006, 05:38 PM
I like the icons the way they are (1280*1024), but they are a little too big on my laptop. Perhaps the icons should be scaled with the screenresolution?

briancurtin
May 2nd, 2006, 06:16 PM
right click on an icon, select 'stretch icon' and make it whatever size you want. its that easy.

Kvark
May 2nd, 2006, 06:43 PM
Perhaps the icons should be scaled with the screenresolution?
Yeah. No matter what size you pick it'll either be too big on 1024x768 or too small on 1600x1200. The only way to avoid making the icons too big or too small would be to adjust the size depending on the resolution.

Engnome
May 2nd, 2006, 09:45 PM
right click on an icon, select 'stretch icon' and make it whatever size you want. its that easy.

Yeah I know but if you have 20+ icons and some new everyday you quickly get bored stretching them. Default zoom applies in folders to :rolleyes:

Stormy Eyes
May 2nd, 2006, 11:10 PM
The first thing I do with a fresh GNOME setup is get rid of the demon-ridden icons. I hate them.

htinn
May 3rd, 2006, 12:35 AM
I don't use a whole lot of icons on my desktop (0, that is).

Wolki
May 3rd, 2006, 12:59 AM
I have some stuff on my desktop (of course, since I set my home folder to be my desktop ^^;; ) and the size doesn't bother me... they're quite easy to hit, and that's nice. I make them smaller when a folder contains a lot of stuff, makes it easier to get an overview.

briancurtin
May 3rd, 2006, 01:35 AM
The first thing I do with a fresh GNOME setup is get rid of the demon-ridden icons. I hate them.
same here. i hate icons on my desktop for the most part and if i have one it probably doesnt even stay for a day, just as a temporary holding spot.

Kvark
May 3rd, 2006, 01:35 AM
I set my home folder to be my desktop ^^;;
Cool, how did you do that?

Super King
May 3rd, 2006, 01:41 AM
The only icon on the desktop I like to be "large" is the Trash (I hate missing when dragging files to it and then shuffling everything around).

Wolki
May 3rd, 2006, 04:42 AM
Cool, how did you do that?

/apps/nautilus/preferences/desktop_is_home_dir in gconf, set it to true.

Christmas
May 3rd, 2006, 04:58 AM
One of the things I don't like at icons is that they are not proportional. For example, make a shortcut on the desktop to Firefox and one to UT2004 demo, using the icon in UT's directory (ut2004.xpm). The Firefox icon is twice the other one. My default zoom level in Nautilus is 75%, but this doesn't prevent the icons to have the same sizes on the desktop.