PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem installing Ubuntu 10.10 with NVIDIA ION2 and Nouveau

verdezito
February 22nd, 2011, 09:59 AM
First of all hi all, this is my first post (and hope not the last :) ) in this forum. Sorry if my english isnīt very good, ill try to improve it from post to post.

First of all...im totally NEW in linux, have more than 15 years of experience with windows and computers but 0 linux...until now.

Recently i purchased a barebone for my new home (using a intel atom d525 processor and a ION2 nvidia graphics card). I tried both ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10, with the same error always: when i came to the part graphic interface loads (i could move mouse) pc suddenly shutdown. I managed to bypass that using the NOMODESET thing, and then i installed ubuntu (with no error at all, i used a new big HD and used all disk for install)
But now i cannot load ubuntu, i always get a NOUVEAU error and pc shutdown. As far as i can understand theres a problem with nouveau driver and my card, i must use the propietary driver...but dont know how can install it without "entering" ubuntu. I managed to go to a short of text mode erasing the splash in grub and changing it to nomodeset, but i dont know if i can install drivers from there (i use sudo apt-get install nvidia-current, but it cannot connect to internet to download them - i use wifi)

Any ideas? Thank you in advance!