PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help installing video drivers and speeding up laptop

codifred
February 22nd, 2011, 06:58 AM
Hi. i am using a hp pavilion dv6000 laptop and compared to the windows installation i previously had it is really really slow. my computer even freezes up while playing music when no other programs are running and i was wondering if there was any way to fix that problem and how to do it. Also i would like to update my graphics card. i dont know exactly which i have and nvidia settings pops this error up whenever i open it "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server." My propriatory drivers only installed wireless and no other ones were available to install. with windows i could run 3d games and the such pretty smoothly but with ubuntu i cant even enable any effects at all. i know my computer can run them cause they have worked before when i first tried ubuntu out. if anyone could help speed my computer up or help with with my graphics driver problem i would be greatly appreciative. im running 10.10. im not sure if i included enough info to help with my problem so if you have any questions about anything else that could help me ill try to answer them the best i can. thank you very much