PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't find a way to connect to the internet in Kubuntu

robro
February 22nd, 2011, 03:49 AM
I have recently installed kde and can't find a way to connect to the internet, i have a verizon usb760 modem if it helps.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :).

grahammechanical
February 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
I am not familiar with KDE but there must be some kind of network icon showing on one of the panels and there must be menu options that mention networking of some sort. This is the place to start.

If you have gone further than that, then please explain what you have tried and what error messages you receive and how you know that you are not connected to the Internet.

Regards.

SeijiSensei
February 22nd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Did you install KDE on top of an existing Ubuntu installation, or did you install Kubuntu from scratch? I've had good experiences with Maverick (10.10).

On a standard installation, there's an networking icon that appears in the "tray" near the clock at the bottom. There's also a network management application in the main menu: System Settings > Network Connections. You can try configuring the network there as well.

Are you connecting directly to the Internet over the USB modem without a router in between? In most VZ installations I've seen, they've included a wireless router as well as the modem. Perhaps this is a cellular modem? If so, it may not be supported at all by Linux. Have you spoken with Verizon?

robro
February 22nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
Ok thanks for the replies, i know the internet works for linux, I'm on ubuntu right now with it.
I see the icon in the tray, but i cant figure out how to configure the modem for kubuntu, in the regular ubuntu theres a window that comes up when i inserted it the first time, to configure the modem.

robro
February 24th, 2011, 08:19 AM
bump

Edit: It finally connected on it's own :)