PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.04.2 Won't Upgrade

lou002
February 22nd, 2011, 02:53 AM
So I installed 10.04.2 (is that the recorrecting numbering?)today. Not even an hour ago. I've checked for updates (I'm an ex-Windows user, what can I say?)

I had a couple, installed them then went to check for more. I didn't have any except for the update to 10.10. I know Ubuntu 10.04 is LTS, meaning it'll be good till 2013 but I like to stay current with my OS.

Anyways, I made sure the updates were completely installed, then checked for more. There were none. So I started to update to 10.10 and I got the problem in the photo.

I don't know if I did something wrong or if it's a common error. I'm still new to Linux/Open Source, as I've only started to use it full time now, so it kind of worried me but I knew of this place and posted here.

Since the picture didn't attach, here's a link to it via yfrog: http://yfrog.com/h3zmuqfhj

zvacet
February 22nd, 2011, 11:49 PM
Type in terminal

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

lou002
February 22nd, 2011, 11:54 PM
All of that at once? Alright, I'll give it a try

lou002
February 22nd, 2011, 11:57 PM
Type in terminal

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

lou@lou-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
lou@lou-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

that's what I get when I do sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

A friend suggested going back to 10.04.1 (or just 10.04) and doing it that way, otherwise he said just leave it alone since it's LTS. I guess I'll give that a try, I'll mark this as solved. Thanks! i love open source because of places like this.

lou002
February 23rd, 2011, 01:01 AM
Tried the regular 10.04, and still get the same error. Still get the same terminal stuff I got that I posted above. I'm thinking it might be a machine, which is an Acer Aspire 7741z-5731. Everything works GREAT but this upgrade which frustrates the heck out of me!

zvacet
February 23rd, 2011, 09:45 AM
In synaptic>repositories>updates>check at the bottom that you have option to upgrade to normal release.

lou002
February 23rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
In synaptic>repositories>updates>check at the bottom that you have option to upgrade to normal release.

Yes, I have that option selected. I get the error that I get above in the picture. It goes to get the new software, then calculate the changes then it says it can't calculate the change.

I'm connected to my home ethernet connection as well, and make sure that I'm plugged in.

Dimarchi
February 23rd, 2011, 02:40 PM
If you have an option to do a clean install, I would suggest doing that. Upgrading may cause some issues that are not present in clean installs - although clean installs may have their own problems (speaking from personal experience...not to be taken as the one and only truth).

Copy the stuff you wish to save somewhere safe before doing that (such as Thunderbird settings/folder, Firefox bookmarks/folder, for example).

lou002
February 23rd, 2011, 02:42 PM
If you have an option to do a clean install, I would suggest doing that. Upgrading may cause some issues that are not present in clean installs - although clean installs may have their own problems (speaking from personal experience...not to be taken as the one and only truth).

Copy the stuff you wish to save somewhere safe before doing that (such as Thunderbird settings/folder, Firefox bookmarks/folder, for example).

I've tried installing 10.10 clean, it works fine in LiveUSB, the 'demo' before installing but the moment I get to where I need to remove the USB drive so it can restart and then it restarts all that comes up is a blank screen, then a run down of various things that moves too fast to read, then nothing. The only way I could get 10.10 to work was to install 10.04 and then upgrade.

Insperatus
February 25th, 2011, 07:03 AM
So I installed 10.04.2 (is that the recorrecting numbering?)today. Not even an hour ago. I've checked for updates (I'm an ex-Windows user, what can I say?)

I had a couple, installed them then went to check for more. I didn't have any except for the update to 10.10. I know Ubuntu 10.04 is LTS, meaning it'll be good till 2013 but I like to stay current with my OS.

Anyways, I made sure the updates were completely installed, then checked for more. There were none. So I started to update to 10.10 and I got the problem in the photo.

I don't know if I did something wrong or if it's a common error. I'm still new to Linux/Open Source, as I've only started to use it full time now, so it kind of worried me but I knew of this place and posted here.

Since the picture didn't attach, here's a link to it via yfrog: http://yfrog.com/h3zmuqfhj

Check out your var/log/dist-upgrade/apt.log file. Look near the bottom of the log, if you're getting errors in it like "Holding Back xserver-xorg-video-nouveau" I found a working solution in this bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/606652

Uninstall that xserver package

sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

You should then be able to do your upgrade.

Good luck!

lou002
February 25th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Check out your var/log/dist-upgrade/apt.log file. Look near the bottom of the log, if you're getting errors in it like "Holding Back xserver-xorg-video-nouveau" I found a working solution in this bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/606652

Uninstall that xserver package

sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

You should then be able to do your upgrade.

Good luck!

That did it! Thank you so much!