PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] kind of backup

dimaursu16
February 22nd, 2011, 12:33 AM
Hi everyone!

I want to know, if there is a method not to do an backup, but to make some kind of list of programs, preferences, so if I install Ubuntu again I can automatically get back all my programs from internet( I don't care if it will take 3 hours, or whatever)

My actual problem is that I have Ubuntu am64 on my Acer Aspire 5050, but I realized that I don't actually need 64 bits, even if my laptop supports this. So if I want to reinstall it with Ubuntu i386, what can I do to avoid loosing all the programs? Or maybe I don't even need to change my OS? I just think that it will work better on 32 bits..is this true?

Thank you!

cjhabs
February 22nd, 2011, 01:14 AM
Hi everyone!

I want to know, if there is a method not to do an backup, but to make some kind of list of programs, preferences, so if I install Ubuntu again I can automatically get back all my programs from internet( I don't care if it will take 3 hours, or whatever)

My actual problem is that I have Ubuntu am64 on my Acer Aspire 5050, but I realized that I don't actually need 64 bits, even if my laptop supports this. So if I want to reinstall it with Ubuntu i386, what can I do to avoid loosing all the programs? Or maybe I don't even need to change my OS? I just think that it will work better on 32 bits..is this true?

Thank you!

To get a list of software installed on your system and write to a file:
sudo dpkg --get-selections "*" > /folder_for_file/my_packages.txt

To apply this to another system:
sudo dpkg --set-selections < /folder_for_file/my_packages.txt

Update the packages:
sudo apt-get -u dselect-upgrade

I would say that if you have a 64bit processor, use the 64 bit OS - this way you can address more memory.

dimaursu16
February 22nd, 2011, 09:51 AM
To get a list of software installed on your system and write to a file:
sudo dpkg --get-selections "*" > /folder_for_file/my_packages.txt

To apply this to another system:
sudo dpkg --set-selections < /folder_for_file/my_packages.txt

Update the packages:
sudo apt-get -u dselect-upgrade

I would say that if you have a 64bit processor, use the 64 bit OS - this way you can address more memory.

Thank you so much! It's amazing that they (Ubuntu Dev's) think even about this.
But I guess I will stay on 64 bits, because it works really fine.