PDA

View Full Version : beginner Python question

jadedcritic
February 21st, 2011, 10:21 PM
OK, I realize this is probably a newbie question. Long story short, I'm trying to get out of the habit of wistfully reading books on Python and start actually WRITING IT, even if we're talking about painfully simple/basic/beginner scripts.

What I'm looking for is a way to successfully execute bash within python, I'm just trying to have it check for the presence of a file, if the file exists, move on, if it doesn't create it, which, in bash terms, if I'm not mistaken is

if [ -f /foo/bar ]
then
function
elif
(body of program)

from rooting around in the forums, I gather I need to import os module. Looking at the Python docs, I see allot of options, but no conditional if then loops. Hopefully I'm looking right through it!

thornmastr
February 21st, 2011, 10:59 PM
from os path import exists

if exists('Xxx100926.csv'):
do somehing
else:
do something else

Watch your indentation.

HTH

Thorny:D

Tony Flury
February 21st, 2011, 11:00 PM
Looking at the Python docs, I see allot of options, but no conditional if then loops. Hopefully I'm looking right through it!

What do you mean conditional if then loops ??

If you just mean if/then - you have not been looking in the right place

import os

if os.path.exists("/foo/bar"):
# Do stuff
else:
# Do other stuff

Python Documentation : http://docs.python.org/index.html

Python Flow Control (loops/conditionals) : http://docs.python.org/tutorial/controlflow.html

jadedcritic
February 22nd, 2011, 01:56 AM
I spoke poorly. The python docs are understandably deep, I was scratching the wrong tunnels. A little more fussing and I came up with thornmastr's approach.

import os, os.path

if os.path.exists("/home/mbean/foobar.py"):
print ("true")
else:
print ("false")

It works elegantly enough, but it concerns me a little bit in the sense that I see some semi-reliable information that os.path.exists would return True if a file/link had EVER existed, not currently exists...

Some testing on my own has confirmed that false. :)
I'm good, thank you!

wmcbrine
February 22nd, 2011, 02:45 AM
semi-reliable information that os.path.exists would return True if a file/link had EVER existed, not currently existsThat makes no sense at all. Where are you reading this?