PDA

View Full Version : iTunes, DRM & Linux (Hymn Project)

mips
May 2nd, 2006, 02:17 PM
I came across this today, http://hymn-project.org/

Seems like a nifty utility for those that purchased music of iTunes and want to play it on other platforms/hardware.

The Soundophiliac
May 2nd, 2006, 02:40 PM
It seems it's not for linux :(

mips
May 2nd, 2006, 03:19 PM
Scratch around the forums there as there are some claims of people running it on linux.

Came across this one: http://hymn-project.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=821&highlight=linux

mustang
May 2nd, 2006, 03:49 PM
Hymn has been around for awhile but if I'm not mistaken, it doesn't work if you downloaded songs from the new iTunes version (>= 6.0?)

iTunes for browsing music and their charts, pymusique (http://drmnews.com/pymusique/) for downloading.

wylfing
May 2nd, 2006, 04:36 PM
Hymn has been around for awhile but if I'm not mistaken, it doesn't work if you downloaded songs from the new iTunes version (>= 6.0?)

iTunes for browsing music and their charts, pymusique (http://drmnews.com/pymusique/) for downloading.

You are correct, it does not work with iTunes 6.0 or newer. Furthermore, if you have ever used iTunes 6.0 or newer, all your songs will require iTunes 6.0 to play -- even those you purchased with an earlier version of the software.

BoyOfDestiny
May 2nd, 2006, 04:38 PM
You are correct, it does not work with iTunes 6.0 or newer. Furthermore, if you have ever used iTunes 6.0 or newer, all your songs will require iTunes 6.0 to play -- even those you purchased with an earlier version of the software.

Wow didn't know that... Oh well no biggie, I've never bought any iTunes tunes... My dad bought like 3... then realized it wasn't playable else where, so it's allofmp3.com for him... For me I just buy CD's used, then rip.

Yes, I know you can burn your itune to a cd, rip it. You'll have a larger file of course, and if you compress again some quality is lost. I refuse to jump through these hoops. Thus I don't buy it.

mustang
May 3rd, 2006, 05:40 PM
Yes, I know you can burn your itune to a cd, rip it. You'll have a larger file of course, and if you compress again some quality is lost. I refuse to jump through these hoops. Thus I don't buy it.

That's what pymusique is for ;)

wylfing
May 4th, 2006, 04:42 AM
No, that is what eMule is for.

Fight the power.

BarfBag
May 4th, 2006, 06:33 AM
I just burn my purchased music to a CD (stripping it of the DRM) and rip it in Linux. Much easier (for me, at least). I buy my music off of AllofMP3 and Half now, so it's no longer an issue.

I'm patiently waiting for someone to crack the DRM in iTunes movie downloads. Even though the quality is crappy, it's the best (legal) place to get TV shows. Unless you guys have a better idea.

wylfing
May 4th, 2006, 06:45 AM
I'm patiently waiting for someone to crack the DRM in iTunes movie downloads. Even though the quality is crappy, it's the best (legal) place to get TV shows. Unless you guys have a better idea.

Nope, not yet. We'll see how Flash 9 turns out for Linux. That might change things.

I buy my music off of AllofMP3 and Half now, so it's no longer an issue.

Not an issue for whom? Allofmp3 is not any more legal in the USA than gnutella or eMule. Just because you are not currently a lawsuit target does not mean you cannot become one at any time.

pcjunkie
August 31st, 2009, 04:05 PM
So the Big media companies are waging war on their clients and sticking to a distribution model that died the day the Internet was born.

Tuff.

I doubt NIN, The dead Kennedy's and many more would agree that iTunes is the pinnacle of media distribution. Great if you own a MAC until they turn the DRM servers off. Then you have done your money, you might as well stand on a bridge and let it blow away in the wind..

Johnsie
August 31st, 2009, 04:20 PM
I don't understand why people would buy music off these companies in the first place. There are literally millions of artists out there who have made their music freely or cheaply available by other means. Some of it is good and some not so good.

Why are people still letting big companies call the shots?

PmDematagoda
August 31st, 2009, 04:31 PM
Thread necromancy.

Thread closed.