PDA

View Full Version : What do I do next?

wirate
February 21st, 2011, 08:37 PM
Hello all,
I am a beginner in programming. I started with C and C++. I have studied classes and objects etc. Now when I move forward, I see virtual functions, namespaces and the like which usually deal with better program organization, readability and efficiency. However, I don't do projects big enough where these things actually make a difference and the one project that is big enough, I am unable to use these nicely. So the question is, where do I go now?
Thank you :)

juancarlospaco
February 22nd, 2011, 02:52 AM
Do something useful with those skills...

wirate
February 22nd, 2011, 09:57 AM
Do something useful with those skills...

like?

fct
February 22nd, 2011, 11:02 AM
Pick an open source project you like, study the code and help with its development.

juancarlospaco
February 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
Pick an open source project you like, study the code and help with its development.

Or start a new one, something that is missing from the repos, and create an alternative.

Tony Flury
February 22nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
or find something that you do regularly, that you think a program could do more efficiently - and write that.

Don't pick something that someone else has suggested - it wont hold your interest.

cgroza
February 23rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Why not start a project of your own? I brings a lot of experience and teaches you a lot as you encounter problems and finding ways to solve them.

Jacks0n
February 23rd, 2011, 06:56 PM
Now try writing a kernel module :D

PaulM1985
February 24th, 2011, 09:43 AM
How about a simple computer game like paddle and a ball? Once you have done this, maybe look into making more complicated games.

A customised media player for yourself? (I mean using a pre-existing media player library, not making the entire thing for yourself. The aim of something like this would be to improve on your placing GUI widgets and getting used to creating user interfaces.)

Some backup application to backup files in specific folders on your computer?

I have loads of things that I want to do but don't have time to start.