PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Problem with video grabbing hardware

ianmillington
February 21st, 2011, 02:23 PM
Hi all

I've bought a card to enable me to connect the VCR via scart socket to the computer USB port.

It has the Empia em2861 chipset (em28xx kernel module) so it should work, but I did buy it in anticipation of failure and my daughter having to use it on her Vista Laptop.

What I am trying to do is convert our video collection (going back to 1991 and including a number of people who are no longer with us) to DVD.

Here's the current status:

Nothing at all happened until I installed a couple of V4L packages (including the Video for Linux driver configurer). I have the card plugged into the USB and connected to the video. When I run the V4L driver package and then tell it to preview, the light on the card comes on (suggesting it is working?) and Mplayer loads. However, the Mplayer screen is blank.

I have tried capturing using kdenlive using the V4L option, but I simply get a "not-connected" response.

I'm not sure where to go next with this so I'd be interested in knowing whether anyone has had any success with this card and if so how it was achived?

Many thanks