PDA

View Full Version : New Computer: Advice on parts?

Da CalebMan
February 21st, 2011, 11:54 AM
Hey fellow linux geeks, :)
Just wanted to get a little advice on the parts I'm getting for my new PC.

AMD SEMPRON 140 2.7Ghz

ASUS M4A88TD-M AMD 880G

CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz CL9

I want to use this PC mainly for video editing, gaming and audio-engineering. I don't plan on upgrading the motherboard, but I'll get another 2 gigs of ram, a better gpu and maybe a better cpu later on.

Edit: And I plan to run Linux Mint on it.

Any advice will be well appreciated, :D

~Caleb

mastablasta
February 21st, 2011, 12:13 PM
graphics card and sound card? these are the ones causing issues on PC. i have no issues with GPU but sound is "&"/%/!)!#"%%$"/#&)!*** [censored] :-D

edit: for video editing try to get a better CPU if you can. Athlon or Phenom.

megabuffen
February 21st, 2011, 12:52 PM
Phenom II processors are good value. I use a Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition. The only thing I've tried that gives it a 100 % load is bruteforcing MD5 hashes. It runs at 3,4 GHz with 1333 MHz RAM out of the box, but I have overclocked it using the motherboard BIOS to 3,6 GHz/ 1600 Mhz, without replacing the cooler or increasing the voltage. Here in Sweden it costs about 1300 SEK, which is about 150 EUR or 200 USD. Just make sure that your motherboard supports these features and that you have 1600 MHz compatible RAM.

A good graphics card is nice to have for video editing, assuming that your editing program uses it efficiently. There are graphics cards available that are specifically designed for video editing, but most reasonably fast cards will do. I wouldn't recommend a built-in card.

cascade9
February 21st, 2011, 01:11 PM
Its not the motherboard I would get...but with a parts list like that I'm guessing you dont have much money.

Semprons arent worth it for your use. Seriously. $40 odd for a single core semp, $70 for an athlon II, and the athlon will be a ton better. (I'd go even higher, but again, money).

RAM.....again, you will pay less than double what 2GB costs to get 4GB.

My advice- save your cash till you can get a better system. Or find something 2nd hand.

Da CalebMan
February 21st, 2011, 10:01 PM
Yeah you're right, I think I'll save.
Also, apparently that motherboard has big issues with Linux. Is there any motherboard somewhat similar that you guys would recommended?

gordintoronto
February 22nd, 2011, 03:00 AM
I've got a GA-MA770T-UD3P (Gigabyte) and it works wonderfully with Ubuntu 10.10. I think it is now obsolete, though. My CPU is a Phenom II X2.

cascade9
February 22nd, 2011, 06:51 AM
I've got a GA-MA770T-UD3P (Gigabyte) and it works wonderfully with Ubuntu 10.10. I think it is now obsolete, though. My CPU is a Phenom II X2.

LOL, I've got a GA-MA-770-USB3.0. The same basic board, just with a USB3.0 controller. Its sort of obsolete, but only because the 870 boards with a SB850 southbridge (for native SATAIII) are out.

The GA-MA-770s tend to work really well with linux. The are about $105 (where I go anyway), the GA-870As are about $140. So for a 'budget' system the 870A probably isnt worth it.

Since the asus M4A88TD-M is about the same cost as the GA-MA770, its probably not a bad replacement. The only problem is that you would need to get a video card as well. About $40 for a 8400GS, $45 for a GT210, or $40-45 for a low end AMD 4XXX or 5XXX card (I'd probably get the GT210).

Da CalebMan
February 22nd, 2011, 12:27 PM
I'm trying to find a motherboard with integrated graphics so I can have a working system while I wait for the upgrade money.:) I think I'll get an Athlon since I probably can't afford a Phenom any time soon.:( How's Gigabyte for audio? Any known issues?

Edit: BTW, have they patched that audio bug with the m4a88td-m yet?

mastablasta
February 22nd, 2011, 01:05 PM
if the motherboard uses realtek sound cards then it's thta kernel bug and then it wasnt' solved.

I was just playing with live version on a computer i use with gigabyte. 10.04 i remember everyhting worked out of box. 10.10 i tried kubuntu sound card was propperly recognised, but sound was not playing. :-O i will try Ubuntu 10.10 live today.

integrated graphics? yeah for temporary use, just don't expect much from them. you never mentioned what your budget is and which components you want to buy (perhaps you already have the disk or frame?) That way people can maybe give a better advice.

cascade9
February 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
If your really streched for money, wait till june/july 2011. Its looking like that is when bulldozer is will get released. When bulldozer comes out, the pirces on current AM3 gear should drop quite a bit.

Da CalebMan
February 23rd, 2011, 08:17 AM
Darn, just realised the M4A88TD-M is a uATX. That's probably why it was so cheap. Found this Gigabyte motherboard though, all Newegg reviews said it had no problems with Linux and it's not too much more expensive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-128-444&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=100&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

Good idea?:)

cascade9
February 23rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
You only palce I can find that board in brisneyland is game dude (who I will NEVER, EVER BUY FROM AGAIN!)

Its $138 there, and its not worth it IMO.

Da CalebMan
February 24th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I found a site called MSY, believe it or not, some of their stuff is cheaper than Game Dude and they've got quite a larger range. Their site is: http://www.msy.com.au/

Static Ice knows (most of) the cheapest stores in all of Aus and you can search products individually. http://www.staticice.com.au/

BTW, I figured out the Maverick kernel has the audio bug fixed. Could always back-port it to Lucid, if that's the right term, but I've already got Maverick.

Sorry if you knew all this. ;)

Da CalebMan
February 24th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Also, parts-list so far:
- Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
- Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
- AMD AM3 x2 255

:)

cascade9
February 24th, 2011, 09:56 AM
LOL, yeah, I think I may have told you about MSY and staticice.

I'm, not seeing the GA-880GA-UD3H at MSY. Maybe you've actually logged in and are getting a brisbane branch (I end up with "Your current selected branch is: Clayton(VIC) Branch." when I look at MSYs site)

The closest thing to that board I can see at MSY is the GA-880GM-USB3, which is microATX, and slightly different in chipset. Its got a SB710 southbridge (SATAII) where the GA-880GA-UD3H has the SB850 southbridge (SATAIII)

*edit- staticice doesnt show the GA-880GA-UD3H at MSY either.

Da CalebMan
February 24th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Oh, sorry! #-oThat was my fault, that's not the board I'm talking about, jeez the whole time I've been posting the wrong one.

http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=3223

My mistake, sorry for the confusion :oops:

Da CalebMan
February 26th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Yay, same chipset, but cheaper.
Is ASRock a good brand for quality?
http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=3134

GabrielYYZ
February 26th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Yay, same chipset, but cheaper.
Is ASRock a good brand for quality?
http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=3134

they're ok, not the best but they have a couple solid reviews on some sites. i'd recommend to look for reviews of that specific motherboard though, that way you get a sense of how it plays out in actual use.

my motherboard is an A790GXM-AD3 from ECS (Elite Group), i think they're an ok brand, but i found the motherboard to be pretty good. the reviews are fairly consistent for it too, so i tend to think that, while reviews might not be the definitive way to judge hardware, they're pretty useful.

cascade9
February 26th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Asrock varies, some boards are not bad, some are absolute crap. The asrock baord I got to use while I was RMAing a (different) dead board is one of the worst boards I've ever seen. ECS is pretty much the same thing, though they have less boards made for retail, and focus more on OEM for big corporate manufacturers.

I'd get a Gigabyte 770T $105 (IIRC they were at MSY for even less but arent listed anymore)-
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=105&bid=2&sid=70121

Or even a asus M4A87TD, $96-
http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=3151

+ a cheap PCIe video card, $40 (GT210) or less (8400GS).

BTW, I'd bet that you are planning on running the PSU in your current machine, right? If its old, or underpowered it probably wont run a modern system well, if at all.

dh04000
February 26th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I only got one piece of advice for you. And it applies to all electronics. Buy the one coming out in 6 months, because what ever it is, will be better than what you buy now.

Da CalebMan
February 27th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Yep, love that suggestion :)
I'll either:

1. Go with the GA-MA770T-UD3P, get a better power supply and borrow my friends spare 9800GTX till I can afford my own, or;

2. Go with the 890GX-Extreme3's IGP, live off that for a while until I can afford a dedicated and a psu.

cascade9
February 27th, 2011, 12:27 PM
If your current power supply will work with the 890GX, it wil work with the 770T and a GT210. They use a grand total of sod-all power.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf-210-gt220_5.html#sect0

The main drian on the power supply in both cases will be the CPU.