PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying to install packages on 10.10 without access to internet

Vudue Priest
February 21st, 2011, 11:37 AM
Hi, I'm very new to ubuntu and am having issues with package installations. I am trying to install virtualbox 4.0 without the internet. I am currently deployed in afghanistan, so internet access to personal comps is not available. However the computers they have set up for internet access allows me to download the packages. I have read through a number of threads before posting and could not find one that fit the same circumstances. So please be gentle lol. as of right now I have the .deb file saved to my desk top and have toyed in terminal to get this to work. Saddly I just do not know enough to solve this problem. I appreciate all of your help.

Other info you may need:
running on a mactel book pro
ubuntu 10.10 64 installed
file name is: virtualbox-4.0_4.0.4-70112~ubuntu~maveric_amd64.deb
if there is anything else please let me know.

Quackers
February 21st, 2011, 12:41 PM
Copy the .deb file from the computer with internet access to your personal computer (to the Downloads folder maybe) then double-click on the .deb file. What happens?

Vudue Priest
February 21st, 2011, 12:49 PM
After dragging the deb file into the downloads folder i double clicked on the deb file and it mounted it to my desktop. after opening the mounted deb file i have a control.tar.gz package, a data.tar.gz package and a debian-binary file. I really do appreciate you help

Quackers
February 21st, 2011, 12:57 PM
From the terminal try

cd Downloads
sudo dpkg --install file.deb
(where file.deb is changed to the actual deb filename

Vudue Priest
February 21st, 2011, 01:14 PM
From the terminal try

cd Downloads
sudo dpkg --install file.deb
(where file.deb is changed to the actual deb filename
I get this error

Selecting previously deselected package virtualbox-4.0.
(Reading database ... 117839 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking virtualbox-4.0 (from virtualbox-4.0_4.0.4-70112~Ubuntu~maverick_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of virtualbox-4.0:
virtualbox-4.0 depends on libqt4-network (>= 4:4.5.3); however:
Package libqt4-network is not installed.
virtualbox-4.0 depends on libqt4-opengl (>= 4:4.5.3); however:
Package libqt4-opengl is not installed.
virtualbox-4.0 depends on libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.7.0~beta1); however:
Package libqtcore4 is not installed.
virtualbox-4.0 depends on libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.7.0~beta1); however:
Package libqtgui4 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing virtualbox-4.0 (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
Processing triggers for shared-mime-info ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Processing triggers for python-support ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
virtualbox-4.0

Quackers
February 21st, 2011, 01:22 PM
It seems that virtualbox requires files to be installed that you don't have. It won't be possible to install without them afaik. They would automatically be picked up as dependencies by a package manager like Synaptic. It may be possible to download the extra packages separately, but they too may have dependencies. It could go on for some time.

Vudue Priest
February 21st, 2011, 01:30 PM
I had a feeling that was going to be an issue. I appreciate your time.

Quackers
February 21st, 2011, 01:36 PM
No problem. Unfortunately lots of installations problems are dependency based. It makes things very difficult if you can't directly connect to the internet.

Vudue Priest
February 21st, 2011, 01:44 PM
In light of this fact, can anyone tell me if wine 1.3.13 will have the same problem because the same actions in terminal dont seem to work on .tar.bz2 files...

Vudue Priest
February 21st, 2011, 01:55 PM
I suppose finding an internet source is my only option for configuring linux lol

Vudue Priest
February 22nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
So after an almost sleepless night I found a few threads that explain how to add a repository... However the packages (wine 1.3 and virtualbox 4.0) on a disk are not being permitted to be added under synaptic saying "e:failed to mount the cdrom"... like wise trying "sudo apt-cdrom add" says that "E: unable to locate any package files, perhaps this is not a debian disc or the wrong architecture?" I am almost completely at a loss as what to do. As my earlier posts said I'm in Afghanistan without internet for PCs. I do have access to internet via government windows based computer. Any advice one can share would be greatly appreciated. Just for clarification I only want one of the two applications to run computer games. Again thank you all for your support.

jcmb
March 8th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Hey brother, try this page out for offline installations: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware#Installing%20packages%20without %20an%20Internet%20connection

jcmb
March 9th, 2011, 01:23 AM
These are the packages you need to install VirtualBox 4.0 on a fresh Ubuntu 10.10 machine:

dkms_2.1.1.2-3ubuntu1.1_all.deb
fakeroot_1.14.4-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb
libaudio2_1.9.2-3_amd64.deb
libmng1_1.0.10-1_amd64.deb
libqt4-dbus_4.7.0-0ubuntu4.2_amd64.deb
libqt4-network_4.7.0-0ubuntu4.2_amd64.deb
libqt4-opengl_4.7.0-0ubuntu4.2_amd64.deb
libqt4-xml_4.7.0-0ubuntu4.2_amd64.deb
libqtcore4_4.7.0-0ubuntu4.2_amd64.deb
libqtgui4_4.7.0-0ubuntu4.2_amd64.deb
patch_2.6-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb

You can download them manually from packages.ubuntu.com, but I used Keryx to download them for me!