PDA

View Full Version : alienware

mmsmc
February 21st, 2011, 04:33 AM
hey guys, what are your veiws on alienware computers, are they worth it?

Frogs Hair
February 21st, 2011, 05:09 AM
If you are a gamer and think that is what you need go for it . I would compare hardware with other gaming computers because you may get a better deal on a lesser known gaming computer with the same or similar hardware.

oldsoundguy
February 22nd, 2011, 06:22 PM
Alienware is owned by Dell.
Alienware laptops are made by Sager.
Majority of the games that come on Alienware are "Trialware" progams.

A lot of money just to have a weird logo on your computer.

NightwishFan
February 22nd, 2011, 06:25 PM
Aww, I think you took away my "FIRST!" I was going for. ;)

As for Alienware, I never liked the brand. Expensive hardware (though not the most expensive). Originally it seemed almost like you just paid for the fancy cases and etc. Usually the machines were reliable though.

Joeb454
February 22nd, 2011, 06:28 PM
Aww, I think you took away my "FIRST!" I was going for. ;)

I won that one...I did have a slight advantage there though ;)

As for Alienware, I never liked the brand. Expensive hardware (though not the most expensive). Originally it seemed almost like you just paid for the fancy cases and etc. Usually the machines were reliable though.

I've never owned or used an Alienware, but they do seem a lot of money for what's likely bloated custom software on top of Windows. The spec of the machines usually isn't too bad though

Lucradia
February 22nd, 2011, 08:01 PM
I've never owned or used an Alienware, but they do seem a lot of money for what's likely bloated custom software on top of Windows. The spec of the machines usually isn't too bad though

However, most alienware computers are just Intel + ATI. Often times, when researching alienware specifications, I find that

A.) Some portions are deliberating to some Linux distros (IE: Fedora.)

B.) The specs are off-balance with one another (IE: Graphics being far more powerful than the processor.)

and/or

C.) The system relies on maxing the turbo boost, which, in ubuntu, has issues (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/429036). To reduce costs, they stick in a core i7 that has a turbo of 3.2 GHz on 8 threads (4 cores), but 1.6 GHz min speed.

This is why Alienware should do AMD (Non-Fusion) + NVIDIA. So that they must slap in processors with a real advertised speed of 3.2 GHz.

themarker0
February 22nd, 2011, 09:30 PM
My friend bought one recently, and so did i. Lets run done the specs between our machines

His:Low end I7.
Mine: Sandy brige, unlocked. (I have it around 4ghz atm)
His:12 gb
mine: 16gb ram
His:GDDR 5 gfx card
Mine: GDDR3 GFX card
His: Shiny alienware case
Mine: Shiny thermaltake case/.

For the one improvement he has over he paid 700 dollars more.

Imo build your own.

dalekirkwood
February 23rd, 2011, 12:23 AM
I would like to try some military standard laptops. Ones you can drop from a cliff and stuff. How cool would that be. What are the best high spec laptops then?

Lucradia
February 23rd, 2011, 12:44 AM
I would like to try some military standard laptops. Ones you can drop from a cliff and stuff. How cool would that be. What are the best high spec laptops then?

Search for rugged, etc. laptops: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Rugged+Laptops

dalekirkwood
February 23rd, 2011, 12:50 AM
Search for rugged, etc. laptops: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Rugged+Laptops

I love the lmgtfy.com, gotta try that with my mum. I will do. I'll post the results if I can find a decent gaming one.

Windows Nerd
February 23rd, 2011, 08:04 AM
Alienware: Owned by Dell now, produces computers that you really don't get what you pay for with the exception of a fancy case.

Build your own and save your money and get the components you want IMO. Alienware *is* for sure overpriced, and doesn't always ship balanced systems.

JRV
February 23rd, 2011, 09:40 PM
I was in the MicroCenter store in St. Louis Park, MN the other day and they had an Alienware Machine on display and running, it was Loud.