PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu netbook remix 10.10 Dual boot trouble

Dright
February 20th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I'm trying to install ubuntu netbook remix on my Acer AOD 255-1345.

I followed the instructions here (http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook/get-ubuntu/download) but after showing a bit of text at the start of the boot, all I get is a black screen with a blinking underscore on the top left.

Any ideas?

Win7 is the original OS if that helps.

-Dright

Dright
February 21st, 2011, 07:04 AM
Could someone who knows please respond? I really want to get linux up and running.

wilee-nilee
February 21st, 2011, 07:16 AM
So there are a couple of types of installs. There is a wubi which is from the windows environment. The other is a partitioned dual boot with a usb or cd , can you let us know. If your intention is a partitioned install have you resized the windows leaving a unallocated for Ubuntu?

Dright
February 21st, 2011, 04:27 PM
I went with using a usb to install it. When I looked over the files though there was a file called Wubi and it had the sheild beside it typically for an installer.

What I had hoped is that I could just have followed the instructions on the site and end up with a functional dual boot, so I don't really any preferences for the way it's installed as long as I can launch either OS at boot without needing the usb afterwards.

Edit: *facepalm* I just looked up what wubi was. I'm going to try running wubi from the usb while windows is booted which I think is what I need to do. I'll edit again if it works (assuming nobody posts before I get back).

Edit Again: Okay, so now I know what I'm actually trying to do. I want to use wubi to install ubuntu beside windows. When I switch the boot order to my usb however, I get the abovementioned black screen which does nothing. Could you tell me what needs to be done to get it up and running, or do you need more information?

Dright
February 21st, 2011, 06:16 PM
I also forgot to say that the OS version is starter.

rippsrock
February 22nd, 2011, 04:07 AM
There is a previously identified issue with the broadcom drivers in the Acer Aspire model you quoted. There is another post on Ubuntuforums that covers blacklisting them, but I am still trying to find it once again. I haven't had success yet, but several Acer Aspire users have cited good results. Good luck, and if I find the article here, I'll try to repost.

Edit: forgot to say, may be same model or not, but exact same behavior is quoted.

Dright
February 22nd, 2011, 04:53 AM
Big thank you if you can find it =D

Dright
February 22nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
My acer aspire one D255-1134 works perfectly out of the box of linux. The only thing that needs to be done is to install the proprietary driver for the wifi chip =).

Specs
Atom N550 1.5Ghz dual core
1GB ram
NM10
250GB harddisk

I found it =P (I think, tell me if this looks right).

Dright
February 22nd, 2011, 02:27 PM
I've seen that the drivers are in fact, not up to date. However I'm having trouble finding the new ones.

Windows says they are all good.

Dright
February 23rd, 2011, 11:19 PM
I do still need help with this, I haven't found the answer. I will try another USB soon.

I want to know, if I use the install inside function (which works fine) am I able to continue trying to install another copy of UNR beside windows 7 before I delete the first one?