PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10 does not boot

Heitor
February 20th, 2011, 04:21 PM
For the first time that I tried to install Ubuntu 10.10, it did not boot from the Live CD. Then I used the option "acpi=off". It worked and I installed the operating system in the computer (an ASUS A6000KM).

Now, Ubuntu is not booting from the hard drive. Maybe it is the "acpi=off" issue again?

What could I try to have Ubuntu working?

Quackers
February 20th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Hold down the shift key whilst booting and you should see the grub menu appear. The top item will be your Ubuntu sysyem and it will be highlighted. Press the "e" key and on the next screen, navigate to the end of the line which says "quiet splash", then delete those two words and then type in "acpi=off" (without the quotes) and press ctrl+X to reboot.

sikander3786
February 20th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Hold down the shift key whilst booting and you should see the grub menu appear. The top item will be your Ubuntu sysyem and it will be highlighted. Press the "e" key and on the next screen, navigate to the end of the line which says "quiet splash", then delete those two words and then type in "acpi=off" (without the quotes) and press ctrl+X to reboot.
And if that is successful, you will need to make the acpi=off change permanent by editing your /etc/default/grub file. Let us know how that goes so we can guide you with the later part ;-)

Heitor
February 21st, 2011, 12:58 AM
Thank you, guys.
It worked, but Ubuntu started in text mode...
Any ideas?

Heitor
February 21st, 2011, 02:06 AM
And if that is successful, you will need to make the acpi=off change permanent by editing your /etc/default/grub file. Let us know how that goes so we can guide you with the later part ;-)

I have managed to start Ubuntu with the GUI.

Please, could you help me with the /etc/default/grub file?

sikander3786
February 21st, 2011, 05:44 AM
Edit you /etc/default/grub by,

gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Find this line.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

Type acpi=off at the end of that line so it looks like,

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=off"

Save and close the file. Now run in Terminal,

sudo update-grub

There shouldn't be any errors in the output. Reboot and let us know if it was successful please.

Heitor
February 21st, 2011, 04:26 PM
It was successful.
Thank you very much.

Edit you /etc/default/grub by,

gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Find this line.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

Type acpi=off at the end of that line so it looks like,

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

Save and close the file. Now run in Terminal,

sudo update-grub

There shouldn't be any errors in the output. Reboot and let us know if it was successful please.

Quackers
February 21st, 2011, 04:34 PM
Well done :-)
The only problem with acpi=off is that it can impact on your pc's hardware. If you notice that fans are running constantly, or not at all, be careful. If your pc shuts down unexpectedly it can be caused by overheating (fans are controlled by acpi). Just keep an eye on it for a while.