PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Debian Unstable package in Ubuntu

bkpsusmitaa
February 20th, 2011, 02:22 PM
How can I install a particular unstable package of Debian in Ubuntu. The issue seems to be of authentication keys.
I have installed Ubuntu in order to test and install my Umax Astra 4100 scanner, and I did not want to use the Unstable sid flavour of Debian. I have stable Lenny and it works fine.
Regards

zvacet
February 21st, 2011, 01:42 PM
You can add repo for that package you need,but it is not recommended to mix repos.

cascade9
February 21st, 2011, 02:07 PM
Thats right zvacet, but sometimes its not so bad.

You do know that squeeze is now stable? Its possible that squeeze would have the driver you want, maybe you should dist-upgrade, or do a fresh install of squeeze.

If you dotn want to dist-upgrade, or install stable squeeze, then AFAIK you should edit /etc/apt/sources.list, put a new sid repo under the stable repos, apt-get update, apt-get install *package name*, check its working, go back to /etc/apt/sources.list and remove the sid repo.

bkpsusmitaa
February 21st, 2011, 04:38 PM
Dear friends,
I am sorry I could not explain myself properly. The scanner is not listed. A programmer tried to make a custom driver for me. The entire issue is in the following Debian Forum: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46057#p298362
Since Lenny is backdated, I needed to upgrade to the latest package. Debian Sid is not available as BitTorrent. So I had to upgrade via Ubuntu.
The next thing is that I have to import the authentication keys for using Debian Sid repository. I know how to put the apt line, but how to import the authentication keys. See the screenshot in my earlier post.
Hope I have been able to explain myself
Regards,
bkpsusmitaa