PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] firefox uses gnome's preferred apps instead of kde's

halfbeing
February 20th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Hello

Currently Firefox uses Gnome's preferred applications to deal with downloaded files. For instance it opens the containing folders in Nautilus. How do I make it use Konqueror and my KDE preferred applications instead?

Thanks

ankspo71
February 20th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Hi,
Some of these preferences can be changed in firefox at Menu > Edit > Preferences > Applications. But other than that... here's a few things to try...

While in the KDE desktop environment, try going to System Settings > Default Applications > File Manager; and make sure the default file manager for KDE is Dolphin instead of Nautilus.

Also, see if you have the package called "firefox-kde-support" installed. I'm not sure what it actually does, but it seems like it might help.

The Firefox add-on called "Open With" is a very handy addon too. With it you can create menu entries in firefox menus to open images/media/files/links in different applications. I like to use it to open various media stream links and podcasts in VLC. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/open-with/

Hope these ideas help.

aeiah
February 20th, 2011, 03:00 PM
try launching with
export DE=kde && firefox

if that works, then you just need to make sure the desktop environment is set to kde. you can add export DE=kde to your .bashrc file or crate a wrapper script with:
export DE=kde && $@;

call it kde_wrapper.sh

then you can launch firefox with
~/path/to/kde_wrapper.sh firefox

this is if you cant seem to get it working using the control panel or whatever though

svenni
May 12th, 2011, 11:39 AM
The package firefox-kde-support certainly did the trick for me.

Thanks for the tip!