PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] lots not working

kardworx
February 20th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I just installed ubuntu 10.10 desktiop on my laptop. this summer i ran 10.4 for a while with no problems , and a few years ago i ran an 8 version for a year on a different laptop. this version installed with half the preloaded software not on it (no irc client, no gimp, no this that and the other)
this took forever to install. it is missing half of everything, and is also not able to see or turn on the wireless, which i need as i use it where I cant get a cat5 cable to
any suggestions? without the wireless its a waste of my time, i certainly didnt have these problems same laptop last summer, or with windows...
many thanks up front for the help.
Stu

oldfred
February 20th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Does your system show under System, Administration, Additional Hardware drivers a item for your wireless?

They had to keep adding drivers and some apps got larger, so gimp was removed from the install CD, but you can easily install from System, Administation, Synaptic or Ubuntu Software Center.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessTroubleShootingGuide/Drivers
Some commands to check
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1491899

kardworx
February 20th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Yes the additional drivers thing is there. i did manage to finally get the wireless going about 3 am my time. as far as gimp they should change the web site which states gimp is part of the distribution. I also got that, but basically doing things like pulling gimp puts them in the same boat as MS, unless the info is corrected on the web site.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 20th, 2011, 10:11 PM
as far as gimp they should change the web site which states gimp is part of the distribution.

Just curious, what website/webpage are you referring to?

GIMP is in the Ubuntu distribution repositories; however, it is not on the iso.

kardworx
February 20th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Ubuntu.com. the desktop section says gimp is a feature of the distribution

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 20th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Ubuntu.com. the desktop section says gimp is a feature of the distribution

Did you notice that the list of applications on that page said
Get all the software you need

The Ubuntu Software Centre gives you instant access to thousands of open-source and carefully selected free applications. And now you can buy apps too. Browse software in categories including: education, games, sound and video, graphics, programming and office.

So, it is in the repositories for you to download; however, it may not be on the 700MB iso.

kardworx
February 20th, 2011, 11:10 PM
actually it does say that, but the section that has gimp says:

Ubuntu is chock full of apps to help you manage, fix and share your photos with the world, whatever gadget you use to take them. Support for cameras and phones is legendary and all without drivers. And Shotwell allows you to manage and share your pictures easily - on all the most popular photo and social network sites. And did we mention the apps are free? (it includes a gimp icon -- obviously it suggests that gimp is part of the download)

that area of the page does not mention you need to go grab it, and anyone that used ubuntu previously expects it on the iso....

I do web sites for a living. my understanding based on that is that it is included on the iso...

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 20th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Actually, I would prefer that the 700MB iso did not have applications like OpenOffice on it. If they are going to limit the iso to 700MB, I would prefer it to have as many of the hardware drivers as possible so that I can get my computer running. I can download the applications later.

People are becoming accustom to the "Stores". My phone has them, my e-book reader has them, my granddaughter's 'iP'waterever has them.

If they included all of the thousands of applications on the install CD, it would become a books of CDs that I had to sift through. I also, don't what to download a bunch of junk I will never use. And, I rarely use GIMP. Many of the applications I use quite often have never been included on the iso.

Everyone has their preference for what should be on a CD. Mine obviously differs for what most people want.

kardworx
February 21st, 2011, 03:37 AM
so out of curiosity what d you use a lot? i build web sites so gimp is high on my list. just as on windows photoshop is one that i use a lot. open office is ok, if i need to use that sort of thing i usually use the desktop with ms office...

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 24th, 2011, 12:58 AM
so out of curiosity what d you use a lot? i build web sites so gimp is high on my list. just as on windows photoshop is one that i use a lot. open office is ok, if i need to use that sort of thing i usually use the desktop with ms office...

Wireshark - a network packet sniffer.
EtherApe - a network mapping/monitoring program.
iperf - network testing tool.
ClusterSSH - allows entering commands into the terminal on multiple servers simultaneously.
Openssh - the ssh server and client.
BleachBit - securely delete files and folders.
Virtualbox - runs virtual machines.
Qtstalker - Stock analysis program.
conky - displays system info, cpu utilization, memory usage, active processes, network stats, etc.
...list could go on...