PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu needs a new color theme, Orange/Brown is unbearable!

PrimoTurbo
May 2nd, 2006, 06:19 AM
I love Ubuntu, but c’mon you have to be kidding me with the color themes. I don’t claim to be an expert but I have some experience with design and traditional arts. I really don’t see how you can expect people to work with such an environment, they really need to be color blind. Now I know Dapper is moving toward more of an Orange mix (especially with the icons), but this is still not enough. [-(

I say there should be an option during installation or live CD boot which allows you to select an official color theme (including icons, wallpaper, etc), or at least change the color theme so it’s easier on the eyes, like a hue of blue, green or grey. Having choice after is not enough, as new users are discouraged with such an ugly environment.

nanotube
May 2nd, 2006, 06:29 AM
I love Ubuntu, but c’mon you have to be kidding me with the color themes. I don’t claim to be an expert but I have some experience with design and traditional arts. I really don’t see how you can expect people to work with such an environment, they really need to be color blind. Now I know Dapper is moving toward more of an Orange mix (especially with the icons), but this is still not enough. [-(

I say there should be an option during installation or live CD boot which allows you to select an official color theme (including icons, wallpaper, etc), or at least change the color theme so it’s easier on the eyes, like a hue of blue, green or grey. Having choice after is not enough, as new users are discouraged with such an ugly environment.
hey, it all depends on personal taste. i thought the default brown theme on breezy was cool. :)
but yea, anyway, having a choice of several themes upon install is a nice idea.

PrimoTurbo
May 2nd, 2006, 06:33 AM
They can still keep the default Brown if they wish, however you simply have let’s say 3 options which have corresponding icons, wallpaper, and application skins. That way you could satisfy everyone and people who do not wish to look around the internet for different themes, icons, etc can do so while keeping a color they want. Theme managing takes a lot of time and nothing really matches unless you make it yourself or waste a lot of time finding stuff.

htinn
May 2nd, 2006, 06:57 AM
FWIW I like the brown mainly because I'm sick to death of blue, blue and oh let's make this blue, too.

BarFly
May 2nd, 2006, 07:07 AM
Picky, picky, picky. I agree the default theme looks, well literally like a pile of crap. Is it really that hard for you to change it? One of the first things I did was change the appearance. I think I am using the Simple theme with a purple desktop. That works for me. My other box has the default-- yes, I am lazy.

henriquemaia
May 2nd, 2006, 07:08 AM
I'm very fond of the default Ubuntu theme. I like as it is.

teasum
May 2nd, 2006, 07:12 AM
I like the idea of having maybe 2 or 3 default themes to choose from with the installer, though it's not that big of a deal to change among the themes packaged with the default installation. I have to say, I like the brown theme from Breezy better than the Dapper orange. It's all a matter of taste, but I think at least it gives Ubuntu a niche in terms of style. I think SuSE, I think green lizards... I think XP I think blue, blue, and more blue. I think OSX, I think blue and silver (maybe white?). In any case, I like that the human theme is at least distinct.

openmind
May 2nd, 2006, 07:16 AM
The Dapper theme has a little more orange feel to it. It's really grown on me, give it a chance.

Check my Desktop out;

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=2579&original=1&c=newimages

Blue can get a little boring

tmahmood
May 2nd, 2006, 07:39 AM
Though Brown is not my color but still it has become a trade mark for ubuntu. so it should stay. though I voted for a new color theme... cause I'm always for new stuffs ;)

drummer
May 2nd, 2006, 07:53 AM
I like the Ubuntu colour theme, and expecially the orange in Dapper. It really is a matter of personal preference and it's also a part of Ubuntu that separates it from the other distros and distinguishes it... it's different.

graabein
May 2nd, 2006, 08:36 AM
I have only seen screenshots of dapper orange but I think Ubuntu should keep the brown/orange as default, and I think they should add one or two really polished official themes in the theme selector. It's really hard to select a color scheme blind folded during a text based installer.

egon spengler
May 2nd, 2006, 11:05 AM
I don't think it's that important. I think this is just another of those instances where Linux doesn't get the benefit of the doubt that Windows does. I know that I'm not alone in thinking that xp is hideous yet I'm sure very, very few people have ever put forward the idea that people will shy away from using it because of it's looks

MenZa
May 2nd, 2006, 11:17 AM
I'm very fond of the default Ubuntu theme. I like as it is.

Amen.

Sheinar
May 2nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
I think the new orange icons are a big improvement, but the metacity theme could still do with some work. It's like a light brown/orange mix. To be honest, it looks like something that shot out of my *** after too much junk food.

Stormy Eyes
May 2nd, 2006, 01:50 PM

Oh, no, not this **** again! Listen, PrimoTurbo, if you don't like the default theme, then go to gnome-look.org (http://www.gnome-look.org) and download a theme that you do like.

Master Shake
May 2nd, 2006, 02:04 PM
A choice of the default theme, and a version-specific theme would be a nice feature, but really, it isn't that hard to change the theme to your tastes.

Georock
May 2nd, 2006, 02:17 PM
i do not like the default color,it is not clear.

fuscia
May 2nd, 2006, 02:19 PM
who cares? it's not like you can't change it.

that said, the orange is nice (way better than the brown, or 'dump color' as my sister and i used to call it). charcoal would be best, but i don't see that happening any time soon.

kleenex88h
May 2nd, 2006, 03:22 PM
I like ubuntu the way it is. It's not my favorite color scheme, but it just seems to fit perfectly. I probably would have picked a different theme if I had a choice, but now that I've gotten used to it I don't want to change. I don't think there shoud be a choice of colors during installation - if you really want to change, do it after the installation. I also wonder how many people would choose the familiar (overdone) blue theme if they had the choice. blegh!

n3tfury
May 2nd, 2006, 03:43 PM
I like the default theme because it's different. It's not hard to customize it to your liking.

Get crackin'.

truthfatal
May 2nd, 2006, 04:02 PM
I havn't seen Dapper yet, but Breezy Brown is a pretty relaxing colour scheme.

Not at all unbearable to me. :)

imagine
May 2nd, 2006, 04:15 PM
I don't want to be unfriendly, but please use the search function next time. This topic was brought up already so many times.

I don't mind what colour the Ubuntu desktop has, as long as it isn't blue or silver.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=897610&postcount=50