PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] gnome crash

visual1ce
February 20th, 2011, 12:21 AM
I was fiddling with Chrome trying to get Flash working and the Applications menu just froze. Chrome was still responsive but I really couldn't do much outside of browse.

I pressed Alt+Ctrl+F1 to dump the GUI and then not knowing what to do after that I just powered down.

Now things don't look right. I've attached a picture of my desktop. The top right corner does not look right - it has my username printed partially first and then again... Also, I think the mail icon is missing... I'm pretty sure there was another icon there as well.

I'm kind of disappointed since I expected a much more stable computing experience than Vista. I can't remember the last time I had an issue with Vista other than Explorer crashing which happens once in a while.

Should I expect this kind of thing to happen every now and then? If so what is the best way to deal with it? Are there any steps I can take to prevent the system from freezing? Should I have opted for 10.04 - is it a more stable release?

puntigamer
February 20th, 2011, 12:25 AM
The gnome panel likes to do things like this.
Just download the Compiz Fusion Icon, and restart your current window manager, it has to fix your panel!

$ sudo apt-get install fusion-icon

-> than click on it on your panel and chose restart window manager