PDA

View Full Version : [other] Old computer install....

J697
February 19th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Well on my main computer I have used Ubuntu 10.10 for a while. I have a very old computer my dad wanted me to fix, it has a 60 GB hard drive and I installed ubuntu 10.10 on it (Although it lags a lot) and checked the "Disk Utility", it said that my hard drive has "A few bad sectors". I don't exactly know what affect that will have, or exactly what it means either. I need another Linux on it other that Ubuntu. I have searched around and can't decide. In your opinion (the members) can someone recommend a small Linux OS that has good Internet and can play flash games and watch youtube vids, etc. So, what is your opinion on what would be best with it?

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 19th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Disk controllers compensate for "a few bad sectors"; therefore, you probable will not have problems. If you have a lot of bad sectors then you can have problems, and it suggests the drive may be failing.

If you need a small Linux distro, you could read this review of several of them HERE (http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/8-of-the-best-tiny-linux-distros-683552). The review is almost a year old, and things change fast in the Linux community.

I have tried several of them but not all. The review does not seems to be terribly biased.

On an Ubuntu forum, you will probably get a lot of votes for Lubuntu or Xubuntu however.

Do you have more information about the computer?
How much memory it has. The processor speed. Dual-core or single core. etc.

J697
February 20th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Sadly I know nothing of this computer really, it appears that only one sector is affected. Wireless does not seem to work on Ubuntu, or fedora (yes I have tried both). I know for a fact it is a single core, most likely 32 bit. All I know is that it is very very old. Thanks for the reply, also is there a rep system?

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 20th, 2011, 12:52 AM
I don't know what you mean by "rep system".

With only one bad sectore, it should work fine.

If you have problems with the wireless, try posting specifics in a new thread to get help. I'm an surprised that a computer that old has wireless or do you have a USB wireless adapter plugged into it? If so, what model?