PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lucid vs. Meerkat..

Baldrick_NZ
February 19th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Hi all,

I've got Lucid currently installed as am curious about upgrading to Meerkat. However, I have a few concerns which may convince me other wise. Any help on the following points would be greatly appreciated...

[1]Will I have to re-install MacBuntu?
[2]Will I lose any files that are currently in my /Home directory (which is already on a separate drive)?
[3]Will it help resolve issues regarding Audacity freezing?
[4]Will it still work with my AC97 internal sound card?
[5]Will it still work with my nVidia GE6200 video card?

Cheers,
Baldrick.

vlaar
February 19th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I would say a no-go on [1]. you should backup [2]
[4] and [5] should most definitely work out. I don't know about the problem your referring to at point [3] but i guess that is for another thread.

laceration
February 20th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Meerkat was a pointless upgrade. It's major significance was the Shotwell photo program was added -- and this is a trifle. All the updated libraries and programs only resulted in more kinks and annoying little problems. Ubuntu has an update every 6 regardless if it is warranted or not. If you can find out if Meerkat will resolve your problems, and I would guess that it probably won't, go for it. Otherwise the only compelling reason would be that it would be possible to upgrade to Natty without having to do a fresh install when it comes out. Natty seems promising because of Unity.