PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Cooking an egg with Linux ?

dargaud
February 19th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Hello all,
a title in form of a jest, but I'm in front of the computer and my wife just asked me to time 9 minutes... I thought I could do it with the KDE clock, but apparently not. I'm sure there are plenty of complicated calendar programs that can do that, but what's the simplest way to do it ?!?

PS1: you have 7 minutes left to answer

PS2: if you want to really know how to cook a penguin egg, the answer is hidden on my site...

wizard10000
February 19th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Hello all,
a title in form of a jest, but I'm in front of the computer and my wife just asked me to time 9 minutes... I thought I could do it with the KDE clock, but apparently not. I'm sure there are plenty of complicated calendar programs that can do that, but what's the simplest way to do it ?!?

PS1: you have 7 minutes left to answer

PS2: if you want to really know how to cook a penguin egg, the answer is hidden on my site...

There's a timer applet for the GNOME panel in the repos. It's called timer-applet ;)

deconstrained
February 20th, 2011, 01:00 AM
To cook an egg with Linux:
1. Overclock your CPU
2. Take the side panel off your computer, and remove the cooling fan from the CPU heatsink
3. Place the computer on its side, with the open side facing up
4. Place a frying pan on the CPU heatsink and start up Linux
5. Install the latest version of GNU stress, run 'stress -c 16', and get cookin'.

dargaud
February 21st, 2011, 07:30 AM
I found a timer widget for KDE, but it takes so much screen estate that it's not something you'd want to leave on !

inobe
February 21st, 2011, 08:58 AM
I found a timer widget for KDE, but it takes so much screen estate that it's not something you'd want to leave on !

grab the little square and drag it.

wizard10000
February 21st, 2011, 09:46 AM

Put it in the panel ;)

aeiah
February 21st, 2011, 10:44 AM
in terminal:

sleep 9m && echo 'your egg is ready, Mrs. dargaud'