PDA

View Full Version : ShipIt CD's

ibs
October 22nd, 2004, 08:54 PM
I have just ordered 6 CD's from the Ubuntu Shipit service. Does anyone know how many days it takes for them to come? I live in Iceland.

im_ka
October 23rd, 2004, 03:25 PM
i live in austria and i've ordered 15. i'll tell you how long it takes.

nuopus
October 24th, 2004, 12:42 AM
I have just ordered 6 CD's from the Ubuntu Shipit service. Does anyone know how many days it takes for them to come? I live in Iceland.

I ordered 22 a while ago and have not received them ... I am starting to think they will not show at all. I teach at a local College and want to pass them out to the students that are interrested in Linux and get lots of people at our Phoenix Linux Users Group to switch from Debian to Ubuntu. I hope they show up because HOPEFULLY I can order more and make Arizona an Ubuntu state! LOL

Hackmo
October 24th, 2004, 12:54 AM
I've ordered a few aswell, Remember though that they were waiting until they finished the release before they shipped them so they should be with us in the next few days?

nuopus
October 24th, 2004, 02:25 AM
I've ordered a few aswell, Remember though that they were waiting until they finished the release before they shipped them so they should be with us in the next few days? Perfect ... then in about 2 weeks let the conversion of Collins College in Arizona begin! MUHAHAHA MU MU MU MUHAHAHAHA

Bassism
October 24th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Perfect ... then in about 2 weeks let the conversion of Collins College in Arizona begin! MUHAHAHA MU MU MU MUHAHAHAHA
I was told on IRC that the CDs would probably be shipping early November.
Remember that they had to wait until the final release, then they have to produce the actual CDs before they can ship them, and finally it takes time to ship things internationally.

daniels
October 25th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Unfortunately, when you get into the realm of a couple of hundred thousand CDs, it's no longer just a 'burn a few and stuff them into an envelope' sort of job -- it's hugely complicated, made even more so by the fact we only just got a gold ISO. At this stage, most of them are expected to arrive mid-to-late November.

nuopus
October 25th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Unfortunately, when you get into the realm of a couple of hundred thousand CDs, it's no longer just a 'burn a few and stuff them into an envelope' sort of job -- it's hugely complicated, made even more so by the fact we only just got a gold ISO. At this stage, most of them are expected to arrive mid-to-late November.I understand. I was a long time Gentoo user and Ubuntu was the only distro to really make me switch from it. Now I use Ubuntu on all machines including my laptop. Even though I still have to compile software to get the latest installed ... it is still a very nice setup.

At our college we have a lot of people who are users of SuSE and Fedora Linux with a few Mandrakes .... and I feel if I start passing these CDs out I can get them all to switch over.

Great job on this distro devs!

phoolgobi
October 28th, 2004, 08:20 AM
hey all,
so now that the live cd has been released, can we expexct the shipment to start soon...

dying to try out ubuntu ...

mark
October 28th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Unfortunately, when you get into the realm of a couple of hundred thousand CDs, it's no longer just a 'burn a few and stuff them into an envelope' sort of job -- it's hugely complicated, made even more so by the fact we only just got a gold ISO. At this stage, most of them are expected to arrive mid-to-late November.Actually, the fact that Canonical is providing copies gratis is incredible in and of itself (imagine Microsoft, Novell or Red Hat doing that!). I've contented myself with downloading the ISOs, so far - but I've got a reasonably good DSL ISP that makes that possible. To those not so fortunate, I can only urge patience.
The amazing thing about a waltzing bear is not how well he/she waltzes, but that he/she waltzes at all.

im_ka
October 28th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Unfortunately, when you get into the realm of a couple of hundred thousand CDs, it's no longer just a 'burn a few and stuff them into an envelope' sort of job -- it's hugely complicated, made even more so by the fact we only just got a gold ISO. At this stage, most of them are expected to arrive mid-to-late November.

cool, thanks :)

just out of couriousity... how do you distribute the cd's? do you have a "center" where you burn them and then send them out? or do you send large packages of cd's to regional distributors? or do you even burn the cd's regionally (eg. you have a distributor for central europe who burns and sends off the cd's)?

regards

daniels
October 29th, 2004, 04:44 AM
just out of couriousity... how do you distribute the cd's? do you have a "center" where you burn them and then send them out? or do you send large packages of cd's to regional distributors? or do you even burn the cd's regionally (eg. you have a distributor for central europe who burns and sends off the cd's)?

I believe it's a mixture of all three; in large centres, it is burnt and then distributed regionally, then in smaller centres it is sent as an 'exploder' (e.g. packaged and sent to Australia, then sent to all Australians from there), and then for the smallest places, it is just sent from Europe.

supernaut
October 31st, 2004, 04:59 AM
Actually, the fact that Canonical is providing copies gratis is incredible in and of itself (imagine Microsoft, Novell or Red Hat doing that!). I've contented myself with downloading the ISOs, so far - but I've got a reasonably good DSL ISP that makes that possible. To those not so fortunate, I can only urge patience.

Novell did do it. They were sending out SLES8, SuSE 9.1 (I think) and a collection of applications on three DVDs, for free, earlier this year.

Speaking of DVDs - a DVD version of Ubuntu? DVD readers and writers are pretty ubiquitous these days.

Agabus
November 1st, 2004, 08:18 AM
I just ordered a couple Ubuntu CDs yesterday and I can't wait to try it out!

Good on all u Ubuntu cd distributors for sending the CDs free of charge :D

jdong
November 4th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Actually, the fact that Canonical is providing copies gratis is incredible in and of itself (imagine Microsoft, Novell or Red Hat doing that!). I've contented myself with downloading the ISOs, so far - but I've got a reasonably good DSL ISP that makes that possible. To those not so fortunate, I can only urge patience.
just a light-humored comment, novell did do that! Free 9.1 Pro / SLES DVD's.

stodge
November 4th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Oh no! I move house mid-November. I couldn't use the new address just in case it arrived before I moved.

daniels
November 4th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Oh no! I move house mid-November. I couldn't use the new address just in case it arrived before I moved.

Contact Mako Hill (mako@canonical.com) and he'll sort you out.

rohandhruva
December 12th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Hi,

Anyone know when the next batch of CDs is going to be sent out? I have ordered the CDs for a month, and they have still not shown up :(

Rohan.

eldrich_rebello
December 12th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Right now, all Canonical employees (modulo two, who have left early for a holiday and university exams, respectively) and a large number of Ubuntu community members are all in Mataró at the Ubuntu conference. This is not in any way holding up the shipment of CDs, however -- I believe the second CD run has already been taken care of and is in the process of being sent. We batch up our orders and handle them through a CD distribution company, but unfortunately it's hardly a trivial process (I believe the current figure is half a million CDs); we have to get all the addresses verified, co-ordinate how they will be sent out, and then wait for the CDs to actually be mastered and sent. All of this takes a fair amount of time, so we're moving as fast as we can.

As for where we're based, Canonical the company is based in the Isle of Man, but we all work from home, whereever we happen to be in the world (barring conferences and short sprints, obviously).

shimon
December 12th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Right now, all Canonical employees (modulo two, who have left early for a holiday and university exams, respectively) and a large number of Ubuntu community members are all in Mataró at the Ubuntu conference. This is not in any way holding up the shipment of CDs, however -- I believe the second CD run has already been taken care of and is in the process of being sent. We batch up our orders and handle them through a CD distribution company, but unfortunately it's hardly a trivial process (I believe the current figure is half a million CDs); we have to get all the addresses verified, co-ordinate how they will be sent out, and then wait for the CDs to actually be mastered and sent. All of this takes a fair amount of time, so we're moving as fast as we can.

As for where we're based, Canonical the company is based in the Isle of Man, but we all work from home, whereever we happen to be in the world (barring conferences and short sprints, obviously).

btw that wound add another half million to firefox users

eldrich_rebello
December 12th, 2004, 05:32 PM
that's a lot of cd's and a lot of expense!

adbak
December 12th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Keep in mind, friends, that half a million CDs shipped does not mean that there will be half a million new Ubuntu users. Some people order the default 10, some order 100. I don't think that everyone will keep each one they order, but they will certainly keep a few for their own backups.

But it is extremely pleasing to see such a young product receive so much notoriety.

eldrich_rebello
December 13th, 2004, 07:37 AM
between me and my realtives there's about 50 cd's in bombay

ubuntu UsER
March 3rd, 2005, 02:19 AM
Hello, i want to register and order some Ubuntu cd's but i have doubts about coding. Do i have to write using my Polish letters or do i have to write without them (because i'm not sure that Ubuntu staff will read them correctly)?

dare2dreamer
March 3rd, 2005, 08:06 PM
Well, some cd's may get stowed for posterity.

Others may do what I did.

I ordered in a fairly large stack of cds, and only allowed them to go into the hands of people seriously interested in linux. I treated them like something special, and even went so far as to count them (and wince a little at the pain of letting one go) each time before I pulled one out as if to show how precious a commodity they were.

It's a fantastic advocacy tool if used sparingly, and each person I handed one to knew they were getting something special when they held one of the slick cd sets from my little black bag of tricks. It certainly made a better impression of linux as whole that I had something professional-looking as opposed to a stack of hand-burned cdrs.

Of course my favorite part of the 'advocacy conversation' is always the part that comes after I hand over an ubuntu cd-set. Most people assume I am merely showing them the package, and ask the same question: "How much does a copy of this set you back?"

I ask them why they need to know, considering they are already holding _their_ copy. :-)

I know for a fact that 3/4 of the people I gave cd's to did more than play with the live cd, most of them are now dual-booters at the very least. Of course a lot of that has to do with me being dead honest about the limitations of linux and "warty's warts" in specific. You're showing people an idea, not selling them a used car.

More importantly, I do my part and help them when they get stuck. I explain it to these would-be ubuntu-ers as something I consider part of the cost of linux, the requirement of giving something back for all the goodies you got for free.

I applaud Canonical for offering the linux community such a professional tool to spread the word. I recommend everyone use it, and use it well. When hoary releases, I'll be the first in line to get cd's for the newbies again.

cyborg939
May 13th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Yeah. I just ordered some yesterday (May 13, 2005) do you know how long it will take? I ordered 3 PC cds and 2 64-bit cds. I am urgent to get them. Thank you for responding promptly.

nuopus
May 14th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Yeah. I just ordered some yesterday (May 13, 2005) do you know how long it will take? I ordered 3 PC cds and 2 64-bit cds. I am urgent to get them. Thank you for responding promptly.

im not going to order any until Daper comes out since it is out soon. They will send you copies of the 5.10 version I think.

For me, it takes a long time to get copies because I often order SEVERAL copies since I work at a school and the students are eager to get a copy. Took me 2 months last go.

RAV TUX
May 14th, 2006, 12:50 AM
I always order 100 at a time; 60-pc, 20-64bit, 20-apple.

I figure the least I can do on my part is to help distribute as many as I can. I started with Hoary Hedgehog, then Breezy Badger, now I'm waiting for Dapper Drake.

I love distributing I have formed a local circle of loyal Ubuntu users and close friends this way. It is my way of supporting Ubuntu as well as giving back to society and realizing the philosophy of Ubuntu.

First set took about 6 weeks to the US, second set toke about 3 wks.

I would highly recommend to try and help out by distributing as many CD's as possible.
:mrgreen:

nuopus
May 14th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I always order 100 at a time; 60-pc, 20-64bit, 20-apple.

I figure the least I can do on my part is to help distribute as many as I can. I started with Hoary Hedgehog, then Breezy Badger, now I'm waiting for Dapper Drake.

I love distributing I have formed a local circle of loyal Ubuntu users and close friends this way. It is my way of supporting Ubuntu as well as giving back to society and realizing the philosophy of Ubuntu.

First set took about 6 weeks to the US, second set toke about 3 wks.

I would highly recommend to try and help out by distributing as many CD's as possible.

Do you really pass them all out though? I think it is sad for someone to order that many ... only to have given out 20 and the rest is useless and thrown out because of new version.

For me, because I teach at a local college 100+ CD's are out in a few weeks.

I'm just saying this because I know of a few students who order like 30 CD's, pass out like 3 and end up throwing 27 away ... what a waste. They have done it with each version ... I tell them to stop or just order like 3, but nobody listens.

RAV TUX
May 14th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Do you really pass them all out though? I think it is sad for someone to order that many ... only to have given out 20 and the rest is useless and thrown out because of new version.

For me, because I teach at a local college 100+ CD's are out in a few weeks.

I'm just saying this because I know of a few students who order like 30 CD's, pass out like 3 and end up throwing 27 away ... what a waste. They have done it with each version ... I tell them to stop or just order like 3, but nobody listens.
I pass them all out of course, friends, family, work associates, even customers at my work (not in the computer industry), my wife is in college still and I pass them out at her University also(directly to students and to student associations).

If anything I should order more.

I can't imagine the scenario you mention. That would be sad but I trust that it is the exception to the rule.

I feel it is more sad for Ubuntu to ship like 2 or 3 CD's and incur the cost in doing that and not have anybody help with distribution, but everybody helps out how they can, wether it be in the forum, distributing, writing code, or donating money. We all here help. There are percentages of course but the totality I believe to be good and positive.