PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Disk error - No root file system

Gingerhouse
February 19th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Hello, I was trying to install Ubuntu desktop and laptop edition on a Sony Vaio netbook from a USB drive, but after I select the entire disk to be used and hit enter I get this message
No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu.
If I try to start windows I just get s black screen.

kansasnoob
February 19th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Perhaps this:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p22.html

or this:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p23.html

might be helpful.

But these two highlighted comments are confusing to me:

after I select the entire disk to be used and hit enter I get this message
No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu.

It would probably be helpful for us to see the output of this command run from the Live USB:

sudo parted -l

Gingerhouse
February 19th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I mean that when I try to install ubuntu I have two options, I can use the entire disk or a partition. After I check ``use the entire disk`` option and hit enter, a window appers with the message ``No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu``.

I ran ubuntu from the USB drive without installing, then opened a terminal and got this

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo parted -l
Model: ATA TOSHIBA MK2555GS (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 250GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 22.5GB 22.5GB primary

Model: Kingston DT 101 G2 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 8011MB

1 31.7kB 8005MB 8005MB primary fat32 boot, lba

kansasnoob
February 19th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I mean that when I try to install ubuntu I have two options, I can use the entire disk or a partition. After I check ``use the entire disk`` option and hit enter, a window appers with the message ``No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu``.

I ran ubuntu from the USB drive without installing, then opened a terminal and got this

Well, I'm a bit worried :(

What version of Windows do you have?

Please post the output of the Boot Info Script as described here:

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Or here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280

There is a specific bug in Maverick's ubiquity I posted some about in post #15 here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1622388

But that should not result in "No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu".

Regardless the most worrisome thing is this, "If I try to start windows I just get s black screen." The info requested may help us understand what damage you've already done to Windows.

It would be unwise to proceed with any installation until we find out what's up with Windows! If you've written no changes to the disc it may be recoverable using TestDisk:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Gingerhouse
February 19th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I have windows 7.
I can`t download Boot Info Script or TestDisk. When I try to download I get this message window
``Download error. There is no sufficient memory to complete the action you requested. Quit some applications and try again.``
I also can`t open GParted, a window opens and then it immediately disappears.

When I open a terminal and type sudo parted /dev/sdb print, I get this

buntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo parted /dev/sdb print

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

kansasnoob
February 19th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I'm not sure why your live USB is acting up. Have you just tried rebooting?

What worries me the most is this:

You appear to have only one 22.5GB partition on that 250GB drive.

Rubi1200
February 19th, 2011, 09:22 PM
If you are having issues with the Ubuntu LiveCD, give Slax a try:
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=slax

Unlike the Ubuntu CD, Slax does not try and auto-mount partitions and I have used this to successfully troubleshoot booting problems in the past.

I don't think Testdisk is available on it, but you can certainly run the boot script kansasnoob asked for.

By the way, the Slax terminal is a root terminal by default so no need to preface the command with sudo or su.

Hope this helps.

Gingerhouse
February 20th, 2011, 02:02 AM
@kansasnoob: I've tried to erase the entire disk and create a new table partition with 2 partitions, an ext4 one and a swap one, format the ext4 one and install ubuntu on that partition, but I get the same error message, it's like my hdd suddenly disappeared.

@rubi1200: I've installed ubuntu on my other laptop some time ago, it works really nice, I like it and I got used to it, so it would be easier for me to have ubuntu on both laptops. But if the installation problem persists I would try installing slax, as you recommend.

Rubi1200
February 20th, 2011, 04:32 AM
You misunderstood my intent. Slax needs to be used as a LiveCD to troubleshoot whatever is going on with the laptop.

I assumed you were trying to follow the advice posted by kansasnoob from a LiveCD. That is why I suggested Slax as a possible alternative.

kansasnoob
February 20th, 2011, 07:46 PM
@kansasnoob: I've tried to erase the entire disk and create a new table partition with 2 partitions, an ext4 one and a swap one, format the ext4 one and install ubuntu on that partition, but I get the same error message, it's like my hdd suddenly disappeared.

@rubi1200: I've installed ubuntu on my other laptop some time ago, it works really nice, I like it and I got used to it, so it would be easier for me to have ubuntu on both laptops. But if the installation problem persists I would try installing slax, as you recommend.

Well, I'm confused :confused: In your original post you said, "If I try to start windows I just get s black screen." Of course, if you've erased the entire disk, then Windows is gone!

And, if you're choosing, Erase and use entire disc from here:

It will erase everything and, since you have a 250GB drive, it would typically create one primary partition (about 240+GB) and one logical partition for SWAP (about double the amount of RAM), but you show only one 22.5GB primary partition :confused:

Also you mention, "when I try to install ubuntu I have two options, I can use the entire disk or a partition. After I check ``use the entire disk`` option and hit enter, a window appers with the message ``No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu". But the only time you should see those two options is if you've chosen "Install alongside" as I discussed here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10145206&postcount=15

The only time I've seen the message "No root file system is defined" is if I've chosen the "Specify partitions manually (advanced)" option because you must set the "Mount point" as shown here:

So, I guess question #1 needs to be, did you want to wipe out Windows? You already did!

If you want to try and recover Windows or any of it's data then it's important to NOT write any changes to the disc!!!!!!!!!!!

Please look closely at posts #1 and #15 here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1622388

Then let us know what your intention was.

Gingerhouse
March 2nd, 2011, 04:04 AM
@Rubi1200: yes, I misunderstood you. You mean I can create a LiveCD with Slax on it and run it without installing?
@Kansasnoob: I've tried what you said several times and I got the same message. The instalation begins, but after a few minutes it stops and I get the same error message.
And right now it doesn't recognize the USB memory where I downloaded Ubuntu, before I could run Ubuntu without installing it, now I can't even do that... I'm worried.

Rubi1200
March 2nd, 2011, 07:55 AM
Hi Gingerhouse,

You mean I can create a LiveCD with Slax on it and run it without installing?

Exactly. Once you have burned it to CD you can try and boot the computer with it. The reason I suggested Slax is because, unlike the Ubuntu CD, it does not try and auto-mount partitions.

If you can boot the computer, then we can take things further.

Good luck and let us know what happens please.

Gingerhouse
March 2nd, 2011, 06:38 PM
Ok, I got slax on an USB drive and I can boot the computer. Thx. Now what should I do next?

Rubi1200
March 2nd, 2011, 07:58 PM
Okay, great.

Open a terminal (there should be an icon on the lower panel I think or from the main menu) and then do the following:

Boot the LiveUSB. Once the desktop loads come back here and do the following:

1. Download the boot info script. There is a link in my signature.
2. Once downloaded, move the boot info script to the desktop.
3. Open a terminal and run the command

bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh

This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here in a new post. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

Gingerhouse
March 2nd, 2011, 09:44 PM
Now Slax won't start.

linuxrc: line 290: cannot open dev/console: Read-only file system.

Rubi1200
March 3rd, 2011, 07:59 AM
At what point do you get this error?

If you were able to boot the computer previously with Slax, what changed?

Gingerhouse
March 3rd, 2011, 07:12 PM
It happens at the end of the automatic boot. It stops here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/imreeallen/5494411205/
I'm not sure, but this problem began after I connected the computer to internet.

Rubi1200
March 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
And if you try without the Internet connection? Same thing?

If you boot without being connected and can get to the live desktop on Slax, would you be able to connect at that point?

I think it is at least worth trying.

Did you set BIOS to boot from the USB stick (sometimes called Removable Drives in BIOS)?

Gingerhouse
March 3rd, 2011, 08:32 PM
It doesn't matter if I am connected or not, I get the same result.
Yes, I set BIOS to boot from USB, in my version of BIOS it appears as external drive.
Maybe something happened to the USB memory? I remember something similar happened with ubuntu. I ran ubuntu without installing, I got to the desktop, everything went fine, and then, when I restarted the computer and tried to run ubuntu from the liveCD again, it just didn't work.

Rubi1200
March 4th, 2011, 08:35 AM
I don't know what to tell you :-(

I will keep looking for a solution, but this could be a hardware issue and/or damage to the drive itself.

Don't give up yet, keep trying.

Gingerhouse
April 19th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Problem solved. I sent the netbook to Sony to have it fix. They said the hard drive had too many errors and just got blocked. I just got it back and tried to install Ubuntu again and works just fine ;) Thank you all.

Rubi1200
April 19th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Excellent! I am really pleased you got this fixed in the end :-)