PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] way to shorten display-time or move Notification dialog box?

nrundy
February 18th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Notifications that popup in Ubuntu (e.g., for downloading items in firefox or Network configuration stuff) display a rectangular black box in the upper right corner of my Desktop. It often covers up items I need to access like logout items or links to my Account etc in a webpage I'm in. I often find myself having to wait for the Ubuntu dialog box to disappear before I can access whatever it is covering up.

Is there a way to make these dialog boxes appear in the LOWER right corner instead? Also is there a way to shorten the amount of time that these notifications display before disappearing?

mikewhatever
February 18th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Did you know that if you move the cursor over the notification rectangle, it disappears?

nrundy
February 18th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I did this several times. I've never had it disappear. One time I positioned the cursor directly over the rectangle so that when it disappeared the cursor was where I needed it to click the link I needed. I still had to wait several seconds.

Krytarik
February 19th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I did this several times. I've never had it disappear. One time I positioned the cursor directly over the rectangle so that when it disappeared the cursor was where I needed it to click the link I needed. I still had to wait several seconds.
That's curious. It also "dimms" at my machine, and I can click through it.

However, if you want to generally change its settings and position, see my earlier post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10115367

It refers to this article: http://maketecheasier.com/easily-customize-notifyosd-ubuntu-lucid/2010/05/26

Greetings.

nrundy
February 21st, 2011, 12:24 AM
Hey, thanks Krytarik :)

didn't know you were so talented :)

Krytarik
February 21st, 2011, 01:00 AM
Hey, thanks Krytarik :)

didn't know you were so talented :)
Heeyh!! ;)
Did you manage to install the script, and have the launcher in your menu?

You will need to update the menu item cache with those commands, I have a launcher for them too ;):

sudo rm /usr/share/applications/desktop.*.cache
sudo sh -c "/usr/share/gnome-menus/update-gnome-menus-cache /usr/share/applications/ > /usr/share/applications/desktop.${LANG}.cache"

nrundy
February 26th, 2011, 12:03 AM
The notification alerts in Gnome-shell (gnome 3) are really cool. They come up at the bottom middle of the screen. Apparently Gnome did research on where these notifications would be best placed. I think they did their homework well. I prefer it over the Ubuntu right-corner method.

Krytarik
February 26th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Middle-bottom is a bit too disturbing for me. Actually I keep on switching between right-bottom and right-upper (usually right-bottom). Depends also on if I run Smplayer or Vagalume in right-upper. ;-)

nrundy
February 26th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Middle-bottom is a bit too disturbing for me.

You mean it disturbs your focus on what you're working on?

I'm really excited to try out Unity and Gnome-shell. I think it's neat that we can try different desktops and see the advantages of each :)

Krytarik
February 26th, 2011, 01:32 AM
You mean it disturbs your focus on what you're working on?
Yeah, of course.

I'm really excited to try out Unity and Gnome-shell. I think it's neat that we can try different desktops and see the advantages of each :)
Did you try both of each then? I'm somehow keen to install/try Unity. Are there major advantages in Gnome3 compared to the current version (I mean in user terms, not in promo terms)?

nrundy
February 26th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Did you try both of each then? I'm somehow keen to install/try Unity.

I'm real excited to try Unity too. I have tried to install or run UNE off Live CD on four computers. It would not run on any of them. I got it sort of working on one of them but it was glitchy and I couldn't try it out for all intensive purposes. To be frank this kinda concerns me for the eventual release. Compiz is not as hardware friendly as Mutter as I understand it. I'm not really expecting much from Unity until it matures somewhat. I don't think this will happen until the 12.04 release. I think we'll have to wait until then to get a no-bs assessment of Unity's potential.

Are there major advantages in Gnome3 compared to the current version (I mean in user terms, not in promo terms)?

Yes, there are major advantages in user terms. I will drop Gnome 2x. Gnome 3x is more in tune with how I would design a desktop if I was making one just for myself. It's a major improvement over 2x IMHO.

Krytarik
February 26th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I'm real excited to try Unity too. I have tried to install or run UNE off Live CD on four computers. It would not run on any of them. I got it sort of working on one of them but it was glitchy and I couldn't try it out for all intensive purposes. To be frank this kinda concerns me for the eventual release. Compiz is not as hardware friendly as Mutter as I understand it. I'm not really expecting much from Unity until it matures somewhat. I don't think this will happen until the 12.04 release. I think we'll have to wait until then to get a no-bs assessment of Unity's potential.

In fact the current releases/betas of UNE are based on Mutter, since Canonical only more recently decided to use Compiz as default window manager in future releases. But UNE depends hardware-accelerated video. So you have to install the proper driver before you log in to the Netbook Edition, or at least you only see something after doing so. ;-)
And I do also believe that the users the next one or two releases will not be the happiest ones. ;-)