View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.10 32bit GDM failures...

February 18th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I hope someone can help...
Just recently my computer has been booting so far as displaying the wallpaper then I see a gnome panel (without my theme) and then it starts displaying empty windows (look like errors or information dialogs). Finally it either gets stuck there or drops back to tty1 with normal output on screen as though it were still booting or I get a login prompt at tty1 (if I try to login though it gives a bunch of python errors and a seg fault)

Sometimes it boots just fine though. Some other times I get something else completely like yesterday it froze with a purple bar across the top of the screen and the rest just black...

As far as I know I haven't messed with anything and have used Ubuntu without issue for 3 years.

It looks like the only way I can guarantee a proper boot up is to start in recovery, drop to a root shell, su to my username, then startx... That has never failed but I don't get why.

Please help :)

March 3rd, 2011, 09:03 AM
My motherboard had a leaking capacitor near the CPU... No wonder this was hard to diagnose looking at it as a software issue :D

Replaced board - no more problems.