PDA

View Full Version : How many Africans (white, black, coloured...) are there out there?

Biltong (Dee)
May 1st, 2006, 09:29 PM
I'm kinda curious.

I was looking at the map of member locations and whilst the US and Europe were covered in bright red squares the dark continent was, well...dark.

Am I alone here?:(

Rinzwind
May 1st, 2006, 09:34 PM
Might be better to post this in the Cafe :)

Oh and I've seen several south african people on these forums :)

matthew
May 1st, 2006, 09:45 PM
I'm going to move this to the cafe.

Oh, and on the topic, I am not an African myself (expat American) but I live in Morocco.

Biltong (Dee)
May 1st, 2006, 09:46 PM
I was hoping for newbes like me, perhaps Capetonians. People I could maybe chat with and share frustrations with on a one-to-one basis. The cafe is full of helpful people, but I bet they would speak way above my level of expertise, even if they didn't mean to!

matthew
May 1st, 2006, 09:52 PM
I was hoping for newbes like me, perhaps Capetonians. People I could maybe chat with and share frustrations with on a one-to-one basis. The cafe is full of helpful people, but I bet they would speak way above my level of expertise, even if they didn't mean to!There are tons of new users hanging out in these forums, the cafe included. Your message will be seen and read by many--this is just a more appropriate place for it.

In any case, I am glad you are here and I hope to see more Africans present as well. Hopefully others will join in this thread over the next few days.

Biltong (Dee)
May 1st, 2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks Matthew - you are doing a good job, and I'll hang out here instead.

K.Mandla
May 1st, 2006, 10:48 PM
If I lived in South Africa (and Lesotho) for about four years, do I count?

towsonu2003
May 1st, 2006, 10:57 PM
I'm pretty sure the term "colored" in the title will get most blacks pretty angry, and rightfully so. I'm taking the OP is not familiar with the US racial slurs (well, I've learned what they are in my 1st year in the US, with extreme surprise and frustration).

I'm from Europe (or Middle East, depending on one's international ideology)

I'm not considered "white" in the US, which has a pretty weird racial discriminatory policy (what racial discrimination is reasonable though? nevermind).

K.Mandla
May 1st, 2006, 11:11 PM
I'm pretty sure the term "colored" in the title will get most blacks pretty angry, and rightfully so. I'm taking the OP is not familiar with the US racial slurs (well, I've learned what they are in my 1st year in the US, with extreme surprise and frustration).

I'm from Europe (or Middle East, depending on one's international ideology)

I'm not considered "white" in the US, which has a pretty weird racial discriminatory policy (what racial discrimination is reasonable though? nevermind).
I really don't think the OPer intended any disrespect. Those terms are unfortunate leftovers from post-apartheid South Africa. It sounds derogatory to an outsider (particularly to Americans), but those are the conventions.

But back to the OPer ... are you a Capetonian?

Biltong (Dee)
May 1st, 2006, 11:20 PM
Different parts of the world have different ideas on what people consider racial slurs. Here in Cape Town the majority of people are called "Cape Coloured". It is NOT a slur but denotes a race - a very proud race of 'creamy skinned' people who speak Kaapsetaal (a mixture of English and Afrikaans). If I were ex-Capetonian and I heard but one sentance I would most probably burst into tears because it is sooo Cape Town!
Sorry if you felt offended at all - that wasn't intended. It was a general heading, asking for all Africans to respond.

towsonu2003
May 1st, 2006, 11:23 PM
If I were ex-Capetonian and I heard but one sentance I would most probably burst into tears because it is sooo Cape Town!
Sorry if you felt offended at all - that wasn't intended. It was a general heading, asking for all Africans to respond.
Wasn't offended, as the title suggested you're not American, hence their slur culture don't apply to yours. Just wanted to note it.

If my post was too harsh, sorry. I'm browsing with Dapper's Firefox..........

K.Mandla
May 1st, 2006, 11:28 PM
Goie merag! Ek ken nie praat Kaapsetaal nie ... but if you're looking for someone to help one-on-one with computer stuff, you might try the Cape Linux Users Group (http://wiki.clug.org.za/wiki/Main_Page). I see they meet at UCT ... is that far from you?

Biltong (Dee)
May 1st, 2006, 11:39 PM
Woah - Afrikaans!

UCT - isn't it on the other side of the planet? (Just Kidding!!)
In Cape talk it's 'just down the drag and hang a left at hospital bend...' In other words the University of Cape Town (for you Non-South Africans) is nearby.
Thanks for the info - I'll look them up.
Now, as we all know our time zones you will forgive me if I go to bed :-)

mips
May 2nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
I'm kinda curious.

I was looking at the map of member locations and whilst the US and Europe were covered in bright red squares the dark continent was, well...dark.

Am I alone here?:(

No you are not alone. Seen a few SA people here but they don't seem to be regulars unless I' looking in the wrong places.

The dark continent will stay pretty much dark unfortunately, progress is slow.

MenZa
May 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
... I know a guy from Sri Lanka (I know it's not Africa, damnit)?

Liet_Kynes
March 10th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Another proudly Sefrican here. I live in kimberley. (As backwards a town as you can get.) Been using linux consistently for about 2-3-4 months now.

Errr. Just so by the way. Exactly what map are you guys talking about?

rudihawk
March 10th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I am Saffa :) located in Pretoria. Been using Linux since December, currently in matric..heading to Tukkies next year.

Sjoe, dis mos lekker om Afrikaans te hoor in hierdie plek!

forestpixie
March 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM
could be this map

http://www.flippinsweetdude.com/maps/index.php

Liet_Kynes
March 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM
How do I get myself on that map?

BDNiner
March 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I am Ugandan/American but i live in Florida now. I have not seen many africans on these boards. I think the number of africans who posted in this thread is the most i have ever seen in a thread here.

forestpixie
March 10th, 2008, 07:22 PM
How do I get myself on that map?

get your lat/long and register to it.

Chame_Wizard
March 10th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I come from the RD Congo,live in The Netherlands for 15 years.:popcorn:

rudihawk
May 20th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I figured I'd bring this thread up from the grave to see if there were any new members that come from our Africa! :D

m4tic
May 20th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Hi, I'm a black guy in Silverton, Pretoria