PDA

View Full Version : What to learn

rugbyguy
February 17th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Hey so please dont bash me if there is a thread about this, just post the link, and leave. I have looked for a similar thread and havent found one.

Ok so I am new to linux, always dabbled in some programming and what not, and I decided to partition half my hard drive for ubuntu and make a commitment to it. What I want to use this for is for making small, efficiency programmes, and hacking. Now just so you know, I dont want to learn hacking to steal or anything, I just really like puzzles and figuring out problems, and from everything I've read, hacking is basically puzzles and problems. What languages should I learn, In what order, whats good for what, and most importantly, who has some websites to get me started on these kind of things? Thanks alot everyone, and im pretty excited about this.):P

Vaphell
February 17th, 2011, 01:48 AM
you may want to read stickies in this sub-forum, they cover pretty much everything you want to know.

worksofcraft
February 17th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Hey so please dont bash me if there is a thread about this, just post the link, and leave. I have looked for a similar thread and havent found one.

Ok so I am new to linux, always dabbled in some programming and what not, and I decided to partition half my hard drive for ubuntu and make a commitment to it. What I want to use this for is for making small, efficiency programmes, and hacking. Now just so you know, I dont want to learn hacking to steal or anything, I just really like puzzles and figuring out problems, and from everything I've read, hacking is basically puzzles and problems. What languages should I learn, In what order, whats good for what, and most importantly, who has some websites to get me started on these kind of things? Thanks alot everyone, and im pretty excited about this.):P

To start hacking Linux for fun today... you might start here:
http://www.hackinglinuxexposed.com/articles/20040608.html :popcorn:

p.s. if you haven't got a suitable "victim" on your network you can create virtual machines using VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/)

rugbyguy
February 17th, 2011, 03:32 AM
First off I want to thank you both for the recommendations. I work in the medical field, and I know first hand how frustrating and repetitive it is to answer these kind of common questions. I have spent the last few hours reading the literature you have provided, and I am excited to get going, and hopefully help out fellow newbies in the future! Cheers