PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Evolution emptied my Hotmail

wonfineday
February 16th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I connected to my Hotmail account and it emptied everything from my Inbox (I had thousands of messages from 10+years in there) that I use to access from anywhere.

I found the culprit, and fixed it for future to 'leave messages on the server' but is there any way I can get these back into Hotmail withiut having to remail them (and therby losing the from/timestamps etc)

Thanks.

blazemore
February 18th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Might they be in your Deleted Items, or Archive sections of the Hotmail web interface?

mastablasta
February 18th, 2011, 11:43 AM
i dont' think so. but you can now back them up to external disk or DVD.

WannabeFantasma
February 18th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I did same thing couple of months ago. They all were in deleted items. Hope they'll be there for you too!

seawolf167
February 18th, 2011, 03:40 PM
For future reference, make sure that when you set up a client email program (Evolution, Outlook, etc.), you go through the settings before your first connect and ensure that the program is correctly configured to "leave messages on server", else it downloads them and removes them from the server (i.e. deleting from your hotmail inbox)

corncob
February 18th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I did same thing couple of months ago. They all were in deleted items. Hope they'll be there for you too!

If so, you can move them back to your inbox but you need to move fast. I don't know how soon deleted items are removed but it appears to be after 10 days in the trash folder.

wonfineday
February 22nd, 2011, 08:02 PM
If so, you can move them back to your inbox but you need to move fast. I don't know how soon deleted items are removed but it appears to be after 10 days in the trash folder.

Thankfully they were in the Deleted Items Folder so I was able to rescue (most of them) to an "OLD Inbox" Folder, but I did lose some messages for reasons unknown...

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

JosephWheatley
March 29th, 2011, 11:53 PM
How do I restore all the emails back to my webmail account?

What's the point in having a webmail account that can be accessed anywhere if evolution has deleted my whole back catalogue of emails of several years from the server.

I have backed up the downloaded emails as an mbox file or whatever but what can I do with these? I want them back on the webmail server.

It is criminal that the 'Leave messages on server' option is not default