PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] GNOME login sound doesn't play...

Procreate
February 16th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I've just installed Ubuntu a few days ago, and it's awesome so far.

Just yesterday, I've noticed when I log into GNOME the login sound doesn't play anymore, yet the login screen sound still plays. In other words, when Ubuntu is done loading and the the login screen loads up (where is shows your user acounts), it plays the triple (dun-dun-dun) effect. After I login, it doesn't play the GNOME login sound.

I've checked the startup applications and GNOME login is checked. I've also checked the sound menu and ticked the box for the login sound (can't exactly remember the menu nor options).

When I login with another user account, everything works just fine...so I've concluded that it's not a driver issue.

Any suggestions?

quadproc
February 16th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Just yesterday, I've noticed when I log into GNOME the login sound doesn't play anymore, yet the login screen sound still plays.
You might have either a mute function selected or have the volume turned all the way down. I once accidentally turned on mute and it took me a while to figure that one out.

Check the function which is associated with the little loudspeaker symbol near the top right of the screen. Also, check the entry under System>Preferences>Sound. If it isn't either of these two then I don't have any good ideas.

quadproc

Procreate
February 17th, 2011, 12:51 AM
You might have either a mute function selected or have the volume turned all the way down. I once accidentally turned on mute and it took me a while to figure that one out.

Check the function which is associated with the little loudspeaker symbol near the top right of the screen. Also, check the entry under System>Preferences>Sound. If it isn't either of these two then I don't have any good ideas.

quadproc

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

It still plays the "dun-dun-dun" sound effect though at the login screen though, would it still play this if muted?

quadproc
February 17th, 2011, 02:59 AM
It still plays the "dun-dun-dun" sound effect though at the login screen though, would it still play this if muted?
The System>Preferences choices are associated with a particular user so you would get the login sound with a login; not sure about the little loudspeaker. But it is easy to check the setting of that speaker control - just click on it and see if it offers an unmute option.

quadproc