PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Noobish Question

Tystick86
February 16th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Hello everyone hope all is well. So after I made the switch to Linux I have been studying command line tools and ruby on rails because whats the point of having a linux box if you can't pound away on a keyboard in a terminal...any way in my studies I have run into a question which I could not possibly ask Google because its hard to search for characters like - in Google.

Does any one know why some options in command line tools have one dash like ls -a and others have two like rails console --sandbox?

Its been puzzling me any help would be appreciated thank you.

TeoBigusGeekus
February 16th, 2011, 07:45 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1652811

kn0w-b1nary
February 16th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I'm no expert but I've noticed that one dash is followed by one letter, while two dashes are followed by a word.

Hope this helps!

DanneStrat
February 16th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Hello everyone hope all is well. So after I made the switch to Linux I have been studying command line tools and ruby on rails because whats the point of having a linux box if you can't pound away on a keyboard in a terminal...any way in my studies I have run into a question which I could not possibly ask Google because its hard to search for characters like - in Google.

Does any one know why some options in command line tools have one dash like ls -a and others have two like rails console --sandbox?

Its been puzzling me any help would be appreciated thank you.

Hi!

It is two ways to specify an argument.

If I for example would like

to make a symbolic link, I would do

ln -s

but if I do

ln --symbolic

it would be the same thing.

If you have a terminal application that

you want to use but don't know

the arguments to use you can use the "man" command.

An example:

man ls

would show you the manual

for the "ls" command and there you

will also find the available arguments.

Tystick86
February 16th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Right on that was one of those not so important but still nagging at the deeper levels of brain questions so thank you for your help everyone :)

Old *ix Geek
February 16th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Back in the day--the "command line only" day--when I started on UNIX (mid-1980s), the single dash was the ONLY way to specify an argument. The double dash thing is newer--and I don't use it! I still stick with what I'm most comfortable with.

Note, too, that the original method [single dash] allows for combining of command line arguments, while the double dash obviously cannot. For example, if a command has options called -a -b -c and -d, you can type that as command -a -b -c -d OR command -abcd. The latter is obviously easier than the former. Yet another reason I stick to the old method.