PDA

View Full Version : Python Script Window Not Staying Open

Zarkinator
February 16th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Hi,

I am new to using Linux, and programming in Python. I am attempting to teach myself, but it is slow going at times. I am using a book called Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner, Third Edition by Michael Dawson.

In it, the first program is as follows:

# Game Over
# Demonstrates the print function

print("Game Over")

input("\n\nPress the enter key to exit.")The purpose of the last line is to have the terminal wait for the user to press enter, so it doesn't automatically close. But it doesn't work. I saved the file as .py, made it executable, and open it; but the script doesn't stay on the screen for more than .1 seconds.

It works when I test it in IDLE, but not when I just open the file.

I have Python 3.1 installed, and am using Ubuntu 10.10.

So what is the issue?

Thanks for the help!

*Edit: After some research, I was thinking that perhaps the issue is that my default Python interpreter may be 2.6, instead of 3.1, but I don't know how to check that, or how to change it if it is.

MadCow108
February 16th, 2011, 06:20 PM
to do this you must place an

#!/usr/bin/env python
at the top of the script so the kernel knows what to do with it and make it executable by typing this in a terminal:

chmod u+x path/to/script

then you should be able to execute it by clicking on the file.

you can also execute it directly in a terminal without above change by typing:

python /path/to/script
in this case you also do not need the input line to keep the terminal open.

Zarkinator
February 16th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

When I open it with the

python3 /path/to/script command, it works fine, and stays open. (I had to change it to python3, instead of just python, for it to work without errors.)

But adding the

#!/usr/bin/env python to the top still makes it only stay open for .1 seconds. I also tried

#!/usr/bin/env python3which didn't help. I ran the command to make it executable before I tried it.

So, is this program just not meant to be able to be run like I am attempting to, or is there some other issue still at work here? I really want to make this work if possible, as he uses the

input("\n\nPress the enter key to exit.")
command in most of his example programs to keep then open when executed.

Thanks again for the help!

Zarkinator
February 17th, 2011, 04:36 PM
So, is there any way to fix this? Or is it just not meant to be?

Thanks

cgroza
February 17th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Your code is fine, something goes wrong when double clicking the file. I am sure that that flashing window shows an error that is too fast too see. If you could see it somehow you could solve the problem.

forrestcupp
February 18th, 2011, 12:08 AM
You have to run console programs in a console or they don't work. It's been a while for me, but it seems like when you click on a file like this, you have the options to run or run from a console. When you start getting into GUI stuff, like pyGTK, then you will be able to run it without using the console.

I think you can set in the file properties to run in a console, too. But I've been in Windows for a while, so I don't know if things are still the same.

Zarkinator
February 18th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Thank you both for the help. That is what I will do then.