PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A Windows Question *GASP* Sorry

Stop Being Such a TOONA
February 16th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Sorry about asking a Windows question on here but I don't really know where else to turn. I can't find a reliable answer anywhere.

So yesterday my boss got the error windows/system32/config/system is missing or corrupt on startup. He runs xp and I have no experience troubleshooting problems in xp (only vista... the reason I know run ubuntu). He doesn't have the setup cd so I downloaded the recovery console .iso online and burned it to a disk. IT FREAKIN BLUE SCREENS. I tried two different .isos and tried running them on a flash and a cd and same thing... blue screen.

I'm backing up his computer right now using a 10.10 live boot but I still have no idea what's wrong or how to fix it. I can't do anything with windows since recovery console blue screens... Any ideas? I have a bad feeling it's something to do with the hardware but I'm really not sure.

HeavyDC223
February 16th, 2011, 05:15 PM
About the only thing to do with windows in this case is to reformat and do a clean install, if you don't have the Windows XP CD, the PC manufacturer (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.) should have either sent a set of recovery discs, or have a recovery option on boot-up, hold F2, Del, or some other key, and you might be able to get into some sort of system restore mode that way.

Often when a machine blue screens like this, it can be bad RAM, but if Ubuntu's running fine, then that may not be it. First thing would be to get hold of either an original XP disc and do a repair or wipe and clean install, if you can't do that, then there may be some other restore system in the boot menu. On my Lenovo laptop, there's a ThinkVantage button that interrupts bootup after POST and allows entry into BIOS or a special recovery menu, there may be a similar option on your machine, without knowing the manufacturer, I couldn't say for sure.

HermanAB
February 16th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Howdy,

Stick in a Linux live CD and boot it. If it works and you can copy the data off the HDD, then the PC hardware is most probably perfectly OK.

Purchase a proper Windows 7 CD. It doesn't cost much. Install that for the bossman.

Don't try to convert your boss to Linux. Bosses are invariably 'marketing people' and they believe in marketing. Since Windows is heavily marketed, that is what they all believe in...

shunan
February 16th, 2011, 05:25 PM
all i can think of is, backup the data, find (d)a xp cd and re-install...

sydbat
February 16th, 2011, 05:30 PM
This (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545) might help you.

Paul820
February 16th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Or this http://www.help2go.com/content/tutorials/28-c-windows-system32-config-system-missing-corrupt.html

Stop Being Such a TOONA
February 16th, 2011, 06:18 PM
This (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545) might help you.

Or this http://www.help2go.com/content/tutorials/28-c-windows-system32-config-system-missing-corrupt.html

XP is OEM, I already saw both of those articles. He doesn't have an original setup disk and the recovery disks I got offline blue screen.

Howdy,

Stick in a Linux live CD and boot it. If it works and you can copy the data off the HDD, then the PC hardware is most probably perfectly OK.

Purchase a proper Windows 7 CD. It doesn't cost much. Install that for the bossman.

Don't try to convert your boss to Linux. Bosses are invariably 'marketing people' and they believe in marketing. Since Windows is heavily marketed, that is what they all believe in...

I probably should have been more specific when I said boss; I'm currently in Haiti working with a small NGO. Unfortunately there's no easy way to acquire a windows 7 CD or anything else down here, you can't even have it mailed. The live boot works fine but I'm starting to question the integrity of the harddrive.

*EDIT: Scratch what I said about the files I found them in a weird *** location. The user name was Verizon Wireless? I don't get it.