PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System Restarts As Ubuntu Loads

tycho brahe
February 16th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Hi,

After I've chosen Ubuntu from the dual boot menu, it loads to the point the desktop would appear, then the computer restarts! The first time it happened it really confused me, I didnt know computers could do that! I tracked the problem to me removing the DVD player... I put the DVD player back and it stopped happening. Now however Ive connected this computer to my other ubuntu pc via crossover ethernet wire, which is working great, until i restart the computer, if it starts up with the ethernet cable connected it resets itself as before! Whats going on? How can I get it so I can leave the cable in?

Thanks,

Zane

quixote
February 18th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Usually, when things blow up around the time the desktop appears, it means the graphical windowing system (X windows) is malfunctioning. Most often, that's some graphics card or setting causing the problem. Why X would be pitching a fit over external media or network connections, I don't know. Doesn't make sense to me, from my limited knowledge of X. Maybe somebody else here knows more about it?

lightningfox
February 18th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Make sure your computer is clean and free of dust.

tycho brahe
February 20th, 2011, 07:14 AM
No need... it just blew up... ! What kind of crap operating system is ubuntu if its blowing computers up? I dont know how you can get away with saying ubuntus the best you should change, when it does crap like this. My computer worked fine with windows for YEARS, 1 week of ubuntus killed it! I should be able to sue!

tycho brahe
February 20th, 2011, 07:15 AM
lol

quixote
February 20th, 2011, 10:17 PM
tycho, I've been using ubuntu for years on multiple computers and have been talking on the forums for almost as many years. No, ubuntu does not blow up computers. If it did, yours wouldn't be the only case like that. It's unfortunate, but your computer blew up. Ubuntu had nothing to do with it. Lightningfox probably had it right: there was enough dust in there to cause overheating or a short circuit. The fact that you say you've been using it for years makes that scenario quite likely.

You may want to consider that for the future: any computer, but especially laptops where overheating is a bigger problem, needs to have the cover taken off and the dust blown out about once a year or oftener if you're in a dusty environment. Especially clean out the fan component.

(I'm not sure what you mean by "lol." It's funny your computer blew up? Or you meant your comment as a joke?)

tycho brahe
February 21st, 2011, 01:40 PM
Joke... I was reading some stuff from people blaming ubuntu for everything... 'ubuntu ate my dog'... It was on the way out which is why I started messing with ubuntu cause I had to build a new system, so it was a good time... just a bit annoying it did it just after I got it set up and working, but hey ho its all experience... its how you learn! I think it was a faulty motherboard cause I'd just lost the onboard sound...

tycho brahe
February 21st, 2011, 01:43 PM
It is really dusty here though, so its going to be a good idea to true and keep them relatively clean...

wizard10000
February 21st, 2011, 02:08 PM
tycho, run memtest on the machine. I'm thinking bad RAM.

Windows and Linux manage memory differently - so a bad DIMM might show up in Linux and not show up in Windows.

quixote
February 21st, 2011, 06:09 PM
tycho, thanks for the explanation! I was pretty much biting my tongue kinda hard because I thought you were serious. :D