PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10 will run off of usb drive but not hard drive

brianweinthal
February 16th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Hi I am an absolute beginner to Ubuntu, Linux, and computers in general. I switched over to Ubuntu to get away from my trojaned XP. Anyway, I installed Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 on a 1gb cruzer thumb drive and have been running my computer off of the thumb drive for a week. When I try to install 10.10 to my hard drive and then boot from it, I get a blinking cursor in the top left of the screen. I have tried formatting the drive and installing but I always get the same result. I don't know what other information you will need to help me but if you tell me what you need and how to get it I'd be glad to post.

Thanks so much I'm REALLY excited about Linux and Ubuntu it seems really clean and I look forward to being an advanced user.

nothingspecial
February 16th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Could be a few things.

I've noticed on some macines that having the bios set to boot from a usb device and trying to boot with any usb device connected can cause problems. Have you set your computer to boot from the internal drive first?

Did the install go smoothly?

When you boot from the usb drive can you see the file system on your internal drive?

Nerflander
February 16th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Could be a few things.
I've noticed on some macines that having the bios set to boot from a usb device and trying to boot with any usb device connected can cause problems. Have you set your computer to boot from the internal drive first?

Agree with that part.

And also trying from a live cd?

brianweinthal
February 16th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Solved, there was a kodak sd card that i removed and it installed and booted with no problems. Now im going to fumble my way around with terminals and commands etc.