View Full Version : [SOLVED] Laptop wont boot from cd

Reduced_Oxygen
February 16th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Toshiba satellite

Solved: Use the slowest burning speed when making your disk

Koffeehaus
February 16th, 2011, 02:50 PM
How old is your laptop?

If your laptop is older than 2 years maybe you're using wrong architecture. When you downloaded Live CD was it 32bit (i386) or 64bit?

32bit should work on any work station.

Koffeehaus
February 16th, 2011, 02:53 PM
P.S. If you describe your problem in more detail then more people will be able to help you. If it's not architecture problem, explain the output, error messages etc.

Reduced_Oxygen
February 16th, 2011, 02:53 PM
How old is your laptop?

If your laptop is older than 2 years maybe you're using wrong architecture. When you downloaded Live CD was it 32bit (i386) or 64bit?

32bit should work on any work station.

i always download the 32 bit and yes its older than 2 years

Reduced_Oxygen
February 16th, 2011, 02:55 PM
P.S. If you describe your problem in more detail then more people will be able to help you. If it's not architecture problem, explain the output, error messages etc.

there are no error msg no matter what i do it just boots straight to windows

Reduced_Oxygen
February 16th, 2011, 02:59 PM

also i dont realy know what else there is to say

Zimmer
February 16th, 2011, 03:05 PM
If BIOS is set to boot from CD first then I can only conclude:
1. CD drive has developed fault.
2. The CD you are trying to boot is faulty.....

Test by substitution sounds a fair way to go...

Reduced_Oxygen
February 16th, 2011, 03:08 PM
If BIOS is set to boot from CD first then I can only conclude:
1. CD drive has developed fault.
2. The CD you are trying to boot is faulty.....

Test by substitution sounds a fair way to go...

iv tryed booting from usb but no luck (not supported) and hard drice but then i cant install it because ubuntu mistakes the hard drive as a cd and doesnt let me creat a partition on it (the partitioning menu cant find it at all)

Koffeehaus
February 16th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Oh yes I just remembered! That happened to me a few times.

1. Make sure you burn the CD at slowest possible speed. On Windows I used PowerISO.

2. Make sure your CD's are of reasonable quality, and not Bangladeshi junk from a Poundshop :) Those buggers gave me a lot of trouble when I was starting in IT.

Koffeehaus
February 16th, 2011, 03:46 PM
there are no error msg no matter what i do it just boots straight to windows

Yet another suggestion. Since no error messages pop up and you load to Windows straight away, then probably your BIOS is not set up to boot from CD.

Usually at startup you would see two BIOS options

F2 - BIOS Menu

F10 or F12 - Boot menu

Go to boot menu and select boot from CD.
Alternatively go to BIOS menu and change boot hierarchy to CD/DVD being first in the list.

Try this before making a new CD

Reduced_Oxygen
February 18th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Yet another suggestion. Since no error messages pop up and you load to Windows straight away, then probably your BIOS is not set up to boot from CD.

Usually at startup you would see two BIOS options

F2 - BIOS Menu

F10 or F12 - Boot menu

Go to boot menu and select boot from CD.
Alternatively go to BIOS menu and change boot hierarchy to CD/DVD being first in the list.

Try this before making a new CD

I have Done all this but same result, however when i go to boot menu at tell it to boot from cd it says unable to boot from cd

however your advice on burning sounds pretty good think ill try that

Reduced_Oxygen
February 21st, 2011, 04:25 PM
Oh yes I just remembered! That happened to me a few times.

1. Make sure you burn the CD at slowest possible speed. On Windows I used PowerISO.

2. Make sure your CD's are of reasonable quality, and not Bangladeshi junk from a Poundshop :) Those buggers gave me a lot of trouble when I was starting in IT.

THANK YOU this worked a treat :)