PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Would like some advice please

gylti
February 16th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I am still using Ubuntu 9.04 because I just don't want to go through all the hassle but I am realising that I really need to upgrade. Being terribly lazy and not having time to try to reason and plead with the terminal is there any way I can upgrade to a better version and keep everything thats here, or will it be a format and death to all my patiently and painfully added additions like java and things?

chicoharv
February 16th, 2011, 03:00 PM
You don't have to get into the terminal mode. The best thing to do is go into administation , go to software updates, then click on new version upgrade available. Make sure you are on line and just download the next version which is 10.04. After the upgrade you will have to again upgrade to 10.10. All your programs should be saved from previous versions with nothing lost.some software may be deleted as newer versions are upgraded and will delete obsolete packages.

kn0w-b1nary
February 16th, 2011, 03:08 PM
You don't have to get into the terminal mode. The best thing to do is go into administation , go to software updates, then click on new version upgrade available. Make sure you are on line and just download the next version which is 10.04. After the upgrade you will have to again upgrade to 10.10. All your programs should be saved from previous versions with nothing lost.some software may be deleted as newer versions are upgraded and will delete obsolete packages.

exactly... and any old programs (ie like konqueror on 10.04, rekonq on 10.10; KDE) will be kept. so if in kubuntu you upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10, you'll keep konqueror, but rekonq will also be installed.

Hope this makes sense!

Frogs Hair
February 16th, 2011, 03:16 PM
As indicated on your other thread you will have to upgrade in order , 9.04 > 9.10 > 10.04 .

Baking up your home folder and doing a clean installation may be easier than two upgrades . 9.10 looses support in April and some of your old programs will be obsolete in the newer version and will be removed during upgrade if you chose to go that route.

Rubi1200
February 16th, 2011, 03:21 PM
You won't be able to upgrade directly to 10.04

See here for more:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

I definitely recommend you make backups of all important data before commencing.

You can also make a backup of installed programs to reinstall if you make a fresh install (though it depends on whether any are deprecated I suppose):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7157175&postcount=5