PDA

View Full Version : [edubuntu] installation freezes

pinot noir
February 16th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I am trying to install edubuntu 10.10 from a usb stick. I made it after downloading the iso file and created the usb installation using the universal usb installer as described on ubuntu.net.

I can start the ‘preview’ that I run from the usb stick.. but when I try to install it, the installer stops responding after I have decided not to install the netbook interface (called Unity) and LTSP. So I do not get to the page where I allocate drive space.

It hangs for hours. Can’t it access my hard drive? I use a Toshiba Satellite laptop. Is it some way I can see whats going on? I can only turn of the pc and reboot from the usb disk… so I guess that no log file is stored on that drive? Or is it?

Any idea will be appreciated J

iosion
March 25th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I am having the same situation, but I DO want to install the unity netbook interface.

It hangs permanently. Over 24 hours so far... ;-)

I am a linux newb and working in a school.

ANY HELP VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Quackers
March 25th, 2011, 07:07 PM
With Toshiba's it is often the case that they need the acpi=off boot option in order to boot.
When booting from the usb and at the first purple screen, press any key. Choose your language, then on the next screen press F6. Some options will appear bottom right. Choose the acpi=off option and see if things progress.

iosion
March 27th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I appreciate the response.

I am installing on an Acer One Netbook.

Not sure if the note on Tosh machines will help but I will try it when I am back onsite tomorrow morning and I will report back here.

iosion
March 28th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Nope... no option to hit any key or press F6

I am stumped. Any help would be appreciated.