PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Still using Karmic Koala 9.10

dgove
February 16th, 2011, 07:43 AM
When 10.04 came out I tried to upgrade. Now with 10.10 I tried again. But same problem. My screen won't work when I boot up the newer OS.
There are lots of posts about screen flickers. People describe their screen as blinking every few seconds or every few minutes. Mine is the opposite. My screen is blank and then every 7-8 seconds, I get half a second (actually less I think) of lit up screen.
I have the same problem with Mint and Pinguy.

So, at least 9.10 is still working, but now when I want install Sage, it automatically wants to give me a version of Sage for Ubuntu 10 - I tried it but it didn't work with my system.

By the way, I don't have these problems on my office computer. There I upgraded to 10.04, no problem.

I know that I should include some system information. But I can't remember the commands to get the information people usually ask for. I can say, this is an HP computer.

Thanks.

mikewhatever
February 16th, 2011, 09:01 AM
To check the hardware, run the following:

sudo lshw | tee hardware.txt

When done, that will create the 'hardware.txt' file with the hardware list. Attach it to your post.

dgove
February 18th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Ok,
I tried the suggestion and got a hardware.txt file, which I think I have attached to this reply - even though at the moment I can't see anything on my screen confirming that there is an attachment.

dgove
February 18th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Oh, I found a problem.
My hardware.txt file exceeded this forums size limits. So I converted it to odt format and am trying again.

There are 11 pages of hardware data. I'm sure only a small part of it can actually be relevant.

David