PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Trying to switch to runlevel 3 on Linux Ubuntu 10:04

Wakanda
February 16th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Hello.

I'm trying to switch to runlevel 3 on Ubuntu but after I press ctrl-alt-F3, login and type init 3 it says "need to be root", it says the same thing when I type init 3 on the terminal.

What do I do? I need to switch to runlevel 3 so I can stop the x server, unless theres another way to stop the X server without switching to runlevel 3?

I'm trying to temporarily stop the X server so I can install my Nvidia Graphics Card drivers, because when I try to install the drivers using "Hardware Drivers" it comes up with a system error that says "SystemError: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 10.10 _Maverick Meerkat_ - Release i386 (20101007)]/pool/main/d/dkms/dkms_2.1.1.… Disk not found."

So I installed the drivers to my home folder from the Nvidia website but when I try to "run" the drivers nothing happens so I tried to run the drivers using the terminal, and it comes up with a error that says "ERROR: nvidia-installer must be run as root"

Then I tried to install the drivers by pressing ctrl-alt-F3, then I login and type "sudo ./Nvidia.run" (I believe that's what I type, I don't 100% remember) and it said that I have to exit/stop the x server.

I'm new to Linux and any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

tommcd
February 16th, 2011, 05:33 AM
First, I prefer using the nvidia drivers from the Ubuntu repos since they are better integrated into the system than the drivers from nvidia.com.
Rather than using the hardware drivers manager, which I have never used, have you tried installing the nvidia driver from synaptic or the terminal?
If you have a gforce 6 or newer card, just install the nvidia-current driver from the Ubuntu repos. Then run
sudo nvidia-xconfig to enable the driver. then reboot.

Otherwise, to stop the X server in Ubuntu 9.10 or newer:

sudo service gdm stop
To restart the X server:

sudo service gdm start
See this for installing the nvidia driver from nvidia.com on Ubuntu 10.04 or newer:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install-nvidia-drivers-manually-on-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx.html
Hope this helps.
And welcome to the Ubuntu forums!

lisati
February 16th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Thread closed, duplicate of http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1688882