PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Are there any way to restore my newly installed Ubuntu as my Deleted on:

erogol
February 16th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I have already a UBUNTU in my system but I will remove it and will install again but I wonder that is there any way or a program to restore my newly installed Ubuntu as my removed one. I mean, I want to see all my system settings and programs will be in my newly installed Ubuntu as the old one.

Thanks for help.

clgy15
February 16th, 2011, 04:02 AM
I havent seen something thats like the windows migration assistant but you could backup your config files. Theres a few guides for backing up your settings for unbuntu around

tommcd
February 16th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I want to see all my system settings and programs will be in my newly installed Ubuntu as the old one.

If you have a separate home partition, then all of your individual user settings will be preserved, as these are stored in hidden (i.e., they start with a period) files and folders in your home directory. Also, all of your data will be safe since your home directory is on a separate partition.
If you do not have a separate home partition, then reinstalling Ubuntu is a good opportunity to create one.

Bucky Ball
February 16th, 2011, 04:12 AM
If you have a separate home partition, then all of your individual user settings will be preserved, as these are stored in hidden (i.e., they start with a period) files and folders in your home directory. Also, all of your data will be safe since your home directory is on a separate partition.
If you do not have a separate home partition, then reinstalling Ubuntu is a good opportunity to create one.

++1. Manual partition when installing and just don't format /home (if you have one) or /swap for that matter. You only need to install Ubuntu OS to /.

Good luck.