PDA

View Full Version : getting started problems with Ubuntu for netbook

dee179
February 16th, 2011, 02:02 AM
I have never used any OS other than Windows but I'd like to try Ubuntu. I am trying to get it to install on an 8g USB to trial over Windows 7 Starter on an Acer AspireOne. I have tried following the steps from http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook/get-ubuntu/download and have run into a problem. I downloaded the file in step 1 without a problem. Going into step 2, I downloaded the program to create a USB drive and when I have to select a Linux Distribution, the only selection that brings up an option for the 2nd step of this process is the Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.10. I select that, then select the drive for my USB and move the slider to the highest amount of Persistant file size for storage per the screen shots. I clicked create and a few seconds in, I got a diagnostic box that showed the Ubuntu OS file and then below it, it said:

Data error in 'casper\filesystem.squashfs'. File is broken

When I clicked closed on that, the download continued. I changed the boot options in BIOS to run the USB first and I got I guess a start screen for Ubuntu 10.10 and then it went to all text and did nothing beyond that.

I restarted and changed the boot back to the harddisk first, deleted everything on the USB and started over. I got the same diagnostic message a 2nd time when creating the USB drive and the same thing happened when I attempted to boot from the USB. It showed the first screen that said Ubuntu 10.10 and then ran through lines of text until it told me to type help.

I have no idea why I cannot download this and in my very limited knowledge of using computers, the only thing I can figure is that diagnostic error I'm getting when creating the USB drive is the cause. Help?

Mariane
February 16th, 2011, 03:32 AM
casper somethings are the installation files you get when you download Ubuntu for usb or CD install. If one of them is broken I would suggest re-downloading the lot.

Mariane

dee179
February 16th, 2011, 03:49 AM
I've deleted everything and reinstalled/downloaded 3 times. I get that same broken file message every time. Would downloading it all to the USB from another computer do any good?

Szat
February 16th, 2011, 04:04 AM
I was having a lot of trouble installing any version of 10.04 and 10.10 on my netbook. What I ended up doing was installing 9.04 and upgrading to 10.04 LTS through terminal. Find a copy of 9.04 online and follow the same steps for making a bootable USB. I recommend unetbootin for doing this. That is what I used and it worked fine.

Mariane
February 16th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Maybe something is wrong with the mirror? Can you download from another server instead of the one closest to your place?

And, yes, installing 9.04 and upgrading could solve the problem, but still, it shouldn't do this...

Mariane

dee179
February 16th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I honestly don't know how I would go about downloading from a different server. I really know very little about computers. Could you explain what that means? I'm sorry that I know so little about this. A friend recommended Ubuntu to me and said it was really simple to install. I can follow directions and am not an idiot so I'm sure when he told me it was simple, he was not messing with me. Surely I'm doing something wrong on my end. lol

3rdalbum
February 16th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Can you borrow an external CD drive from someone? It's typically easier and more trouble-free to burn a CD and boot from it, than it is to make a bootable USB drive.

dee179
February 16th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Hmm...borrowing an external cd drive might work. Would I still need to make a drive or whatever this USB thing is making me do? I'll have to call around but if its easier, then its worth it.