PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Many failed installation attempts

Zirak
February 15th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Before starting, I would like to apologize as you probably had to read several posts like this, but I've searched online for a long time and couldn't find a solution that worked.

About two days ago a friend recommended that I'd try Ubuntu and take a break from Vista. Gladly, I downloaded Wubi and ran the install. After it was finished, rebooted and installed and rebooted again, it froze after the Ubuntu login-screen (with the Ubuntu logo and the red-and-white dots.)
Trying to force re-boot a few times got me to the same thing.

Uninstall-ed, downloaded Ubuntu via. the big orange button and followed the steps provided like a retarded rock. Burned it to a DVD-R (the CD discs in my possession are too small), booted from there. It was fine, and I chose the option to try out Ubuntu first. It was all nice and good at the start, until I tried right-clicking, and then my computer froze. Force-restarting only got me back to the initial freezing point (Ubuntu login screen)

..As recommended, I tried running Wubi once again, making sure that the .iso file inside the folder is correct (Intel, desktop vr. 10). Running it brought me the closest ever to actually enjoying Ubuntu: It worked. Login screen ran excellent, was able to configure the Wireless network, change some of my credentials, even started downloading Chromium...when it froze.

Restarting brought me back to my good friend, Ubuntu login screen.

I'm very lost at this point. Despite the many recommendations and praises I got about Ubuntu, this is really starting to strain the thought if this trouble is worth it. I would be really grateful is someone would be able to help me.

Thank you all in advance.

Some general specs: (taken from Speccy)

Operating System

MS Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit SP2
CPU

Intel Pentium @ 2.16GHz
Merom 65nm Technology
RAM

1.0GB
Motherboard

LG Electronics Inc. Elbrus-R (Socket 479
Graphics

Generic PnP Monitor (1280x800@60Hz)
128MB GeForce 8200M G (LG Electronics)
Hard Drives

156GB Western Digital WDC WD1600BEVT-22ZCT0 ATA Device (SATA)
Optical Drives

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N ATA Device
VENQ FG5QRC9 SCSI CdRom Device
VENQ FG5QRC9 SCSI CdRom Device

Frogs Hair
February 16th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I can't be sure what the problem is , but here are some links that may help.http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1639198&highlight=Wubi+megathread
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

gordintoronto
February 16th, 2011, 04:40 AM
There are two articles in the Ubuntu Community Documentation which might help you. The first describes common problems with the CD, and is called BootFromCD. The second describes using boot options to handle quirks with your hardware, and is called BootOptions. Google should bring you right to them.

Rubi1200
February 16th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums Zirak :-)

You can try the options here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10089820&postcount=8